"FUSION GRIDS" are EASY !!!!!!!!!

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.

"FUSION GRIDS" are EASY !!!!!!!!!

Post by guest »

Why all the fuss about making these fusion grids ? They are actually quite simple. I can now crank out an inner (fusion ready)geodesic grid in about 30 minutes.

All I did was convert my Lincoln Electric AC225 arc welder into a very effective spot welder. This was done by incorporating my (UNPLUGGED) drill press with some old 5/8" copper ground rod, a standard vise and my Lincoln AC225.

As a result, I have a quite effective machine that cost me nothing.

For any newbies out there that don't quite understand how to hook this up, just do a bit of internet research on how a automotive spot welder works.

If anyone tries this approach with a drill press, keep these important precautions in mind.

1) KEEP YOUR DRILL PRESS UNPLUGGED AT ALL TIMES !

2) WEAR ALL THE STANDARD WELDING SAFETY EQUIPMENT.

3) KEEP YOURSELF INSULATED FROM EVERYTHING !!!!!!!!!

4) DON'T EXCEED 150 AMPS WITH STAINLESS STEEL TIG ROD.

5) DO NOT LET THE CIRCUIT EXTEND BEYOND THE CHUCK. IT COULD DESTROY YOUR DRILL PRESS SHAFT BEARINGS.

Before I conclude, I must add that I was quite worried about the task of making one of these. Just about every post here indicated that it was quite a problematic ordeal. This could NOT BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.

As far as my overall progress is concerned, Im getting closer every week towards a non-deuterium function test. At this point, I have completed and / or acquired the following: A vacuum chamber, HV feedthru, HV prower supply(incorporated in a 7 foot tall rack unit), X-Ray monitor, color macro video camera w/monitor, inner and outer fusion grids and a homemade viewport (I hope it works !).

If I can ever get my scanner working, I will post photos of my progress.

Ah, before I forget, I do have a question for the group. While I was at the welding shop, I was told there are two types of Deuterium available. 97.7 % and 99.9%(research grade). I noticed that there was about a $40.00 difference in price. What are most people using here ? And if its the research grade, what is the 97.7 % used for ?

Mark Rowley
Garage Scientist(unlicensed)

Re: "FUSION GRIDS" are EASY !!!!!!!!!

Post by guest »

The fussy 99% grade theoretically eliminates impurities that would supposedly impede a fusion burn. However since no one has ever sucessfully gottten to a continous burn , I personally tend to use the cheaper less pure deuterium. If this stuff of fusion is ever to leave the lab and make it to everyday use the
lower purity stuff will be the fuel of choice.

Larry Leins
Physics Teacher

Re: "FUSION GRIDS" are EASY !!!!!!!!!

Post by guest »

Oh ... I didn't answer why the 99% grade deuterium.
It's used as a standard to calibrate mass spectrometers for one and to build special thyratrons for another.
Biological tracer work usally uses 97.7 and below in the systhesis of deuterium rich organic tracers for metabolization studies.

Larry Leins
Physics Teacher

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”