Pondering a new grid design

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Captain_Proton

Pondering a new grid design

Post by Captain_Proton »

I am considering construction of a new inner grid, and thought I'd bounce it off you guys and see what you think.
I'd be constructing the grid out of high temperature Hastelloy (see attatched on Hastelloy).The grid would be shaped like the paper model below. I figure higher surface area will help with the heat...
Attachments
Paper Grid.jpg
Hastelloy.doc
(79.5 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Richard Hull

Re: Pondering a new grid design

Post by Richard Hull »

I think that Miley's team has already used and perhaps patented this form, more or less. I know I have seen images of it before in the latel 1990's.

Seems like a good idea for heat dissapation.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Captain_Proton

Post by Captain_Proton »

The only thing that concerns me would be a difference in temperature on the inner edge of the plates v/s the outer edge. This might cause warping or cracking. What do you think?
grrr6

Post by grrr6 »

I wouldn't be too concerned with this myself. The outer part will certainly take all of the heat, while thee inner part much less. But the conductivity of the steel (presumably steel) should be ghigh enough to prevent this, except maybe in high energy pulses. I think larry uses something like this with washers, except only 3 washers I believe. And I think it's been working well for him.
3l

Post by 3l »

Hi Guys:
I weld 3 washers that are bent 60 degrees back to back.
It is a lot of work.
Big washers really get to your hands.
After renacting the village smithy I opted for spheres with holes drilled in them like what they were using at Pontiac but without the grid. Drilled spheres of ss work like a charm in fusors you can get up to 3/16" space between the holes and it will still function. For pulse work no less than 1/4" seems to be the rule.
I've yet to put them to lifetime studies but they seem to conduct heat well. I've adopted them for rapid pulse work. A 1/4" at 40 kv
ought to last a while. Each pulse takes away about a 1/120 of a thousand at 40 kv... so 1/4" should last about a 5-6 million or so discharges. We will see!

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”