A new, and promising grid design

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Richard Hull

Re: A new, and promising grid design

Post by Richard Hull »

Experiment is the true arbiter here as modeling can fail to cover all the bases and thus can give erroeous results.

The key is not what looks good to the eye, imagined densities, computed densities or plasma, for it is just a glow.

What looks the hottest might be the thinnest, but neutron numbers versus voltage and current will tell the tale. I have a feeling it will be tough to beat the spherical fusor's density, and geometry advantages, but if a large enough sheet at reduced desity can be used to advange via neutron numbers and energy input then we need to be there.

As few people here have actually done fusion and the bulk of those who have done fusion are currently not set up to do fusion, (like me, Carl Willis, etc.), there is close to zero chance of resolving any of these issues quickly.

Remember, some of these setups, if not most all of them, require a quick change, non-specific geometry chamber for testing. This means a plus ultra vacuum system, most often seen in a big SS bell of 20" diameter or more with lots of skills. It would also demand past fusion successes under one's belt with full neutron measurment gear and metered power supplies that are reliable, calibrated and on hand.

As some of a very few of you know, and others will come to find out, a big SS bell chamber, while offering great versatility, gobbles up valuable D2 like a newborn calf on a tit. Most of it is just flat out wasted especially at takeapart for changes and new setups.

Some of us have big chunks of the equipment required and even the cash needed, but I don't know of anyone equipped with all of the above skills, cash, experience and equipment in our group.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

It's quite hard for me to believe that that this project was so easily dropped back in the sixties. There are so many possibilities, so many ideas to try, and to experiment around with. Or they thought that it has no future? Or ,the letter from the energy industry was a reality?
Richard, it seems to me you have the greatest knowledge on this project, since you have interviewed people who were actually there.
Did they think that the fusor has no possible future?
This forum, and the two before it, proove that to be wrong i think.
There are so many minds here full of ideas, to be tried.

It seems a fact, that anyone with some spot welding skills can put together almost any kind of grid.
The key here ,as you've said Richard, is proper instrumentation, and cash, that can be spent on Deuterium, and maintaince.
Indeed , few of us here has those.
What we need is the support of a major lab...or a lottery win :).

Adam
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Everyone I interviewed on the team loved the fusor and the idea of the fusor. Bob Hirsch tried in vain to get funding once he was the top bannana in the AEC, but no one felt it worthy. Bob, Gene Meeks and Steve Blasing are still avid proponents for fusor research, but are just not in a position to do anything about it.

They all love the fact that the device is still under study, both at the amateur and professional level, albeit modestly so.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”