Todd has the right picture.
There is nowwhere extant, in any official company documents that have been presented, any mention of self sustaining reactions at the ITT plant on Pontiac Street in Fort Wayne....Period.
There is a one direct statement by one living observer who believes they had a runaway. No one alive who was on the team, save this one individual beleives they had a runaway or self-sustaining fusion. I have personally intereviewed, in person, face-to-face, and on the phone, all of them!
Ignition or self sustained operation brings with it the notion that the fuel is burned at a prodigious rate (as fast as it is introduced into the chamber) Turn off the fuel and the reaction ceases. If this were ever the case all present would be dead and the fusor vessel ruptured, even if the fusion plasma reaction was totally contained.
We are back to just hoping that power in versus power out can look better. As Todd and others have noted.
Finally, consider only 100 watts into a fusor and 100 watts of fusion out..... 100% efficient with no power gain at all.
1. The human torso cross section is ~0.5 sq. meters.
2. Assume you are 2 meters from the working fusor which is taking in and putting out as much power as a good desk reading lamp.
3. At 2 meters, your torso is a relative cross section of 3% of the isotropic emission sphere.
4. Only 1/2 of the fusion radiation will hit you, as the protons created will stay in the vessel. You will receive 1.5 watts of fast neutrons to your torso. Virtually all will react inside you.
5. The Roentgen is equal to ~258 microcoulombs of energy deposited one killogram of body tissue.
6. Let us say that the torso on a normal human is about 45kg.
7. The 1.5 watts of neutrons hitting you will deposit an absobed dose of about (1.5 / 2.58 X10e-4)/45 or ~130 roentgens of radiation to your tissue each second! You would have about 4 seconds before you would exceed the expected lethal dose.
Even a barely break even fusor, operating at only 100 watts, would be lethal. Over unity operation would be even worse.
You were discussing 200 kv @ 100 mils. That is 20 kw! You better hope you are not successful in your quest.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.