Easy Inner Grid Fab

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Nick Peskosky

Easy Inner Grid Fab

Post by Nick Peskosky » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:01 pm

All,

Yesterday I was standing in the kitchen and watched as my roomate used one of those plastic protein shaker bottles and I may have stumbled on to one of the easiest to date methods of constructing/forming a grid. Each of these 'blender bottles' comes with a semi-spherical stainless steel mixing whisk which happens to be almost the perfect size for a Fusor inner grid. At only $7, this pre-fabbed grid only needs to be tack/spot welded to the inner electrode of your HV feedthrough and the job is done. I'm spot welding a custom tungsten/rhenium wire grid but figured this might be perfect option for a demo Fusor or a younger fusioneer that may not have access to machining/coil forming hardware. Attached is a link to the brand new blender with an image of the SS mixing ball.

http://www.amazon.com/Sundesa-BB28-SC08 ... B001KADGMI

Keep It Simple Stupid,

Nick Peskosky
NPeskosky@gmail.com
Nick Peskosky
NPeskosky@gmail.com

"The whole of science is nothing more than the refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

Richard Hester

Re: Easy Inner Grid Fab

Post by Richard Hester » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:45 pm

Looks like a classic, well-implemented "Miero Spiral" grid.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:51 pm

Leave it up to one of our old boys to spot the Meiro grid. It was so named by us for the early spanish amateur fusioneer who first made it up and presented it to us many years ago in image du jour.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Anson Tsang

Post by Anson Tsang » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:21 am

This is awesome man, thanks for the discovery!
Anson Tsang, 13years old Elsa High School student in HK

Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:39 am

Mr. Hull, thanks for the right spelling - it's been a long time. Mr. Meiro made a brief splash on (Spanish?) TV with his fusor. The video might still be around on Utube. His setup was a classic for doing more with less.

Julian Kang

Post by Julian Kang » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:46 am

Would it be possible to shape an inner grid by bending wire over a wooden sphere?

Julian

Troy Peterson

Post by Troy Peterson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:16 am

I believe mention of these bottles came up once before... At the time I was looking all over for one of these in Canada but could not find one. That was about 4 years ago, they may be more readily available now.

Cheers,
Troy.

David Swan

Post by David Swan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:34 am

I did a search and they're available from Amazon UK.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:14 pm

A spherical grid can be easily formed by winding wire over a wooden or metal form, of course. Now....How do you get the wood or metal sphere out without destroying the grid? Remember the grid must be hollow! Think a bit. A balloon or other inflatable item would be better. If the grid were Tungsten you might be able to set the wood on fire and char it to charcoal. A Lipowitz metal sphere (low melting point) might also be a thought. There are always ways to skin a cat if the brain is thrown in gear rather than sit and say woe is me.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

David Swan

Post by David Swan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm not sure, but I think I read here that it's difficult (If not impossible) to get star mode from a helical grid?

I was planning to cast wax spheres which can be melted out. Start with a polished model, and make a RTV silicone mold, then cast as many wax spheres as needed.

there's plenty of time to plan as I can't justify (Or afford) spending any money for a few months.