Thought on cooling

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Matthew Hogue

Thought on cooling

Post by Matthew Hogue »

I have been scouring the web for various fusors and have noticed nearly all of the hobbist fusors overheat and draw a voracious amount of power, what would be the practicality of using copper tubing with high flow distilled water passing through? I have used that for cooling of several of my tesla coils, but I do not know about the practicality of it. I was thinking that with that much heat being transferred into the water, it would turn into steam with little to no issue, then pipe off into something like a turbine driven alternator hooked into the various multipliers to sustain the reaction. On that note, I would think it would be easy enough to perform electrolysis on the cooling water to release the hydrogen, correct me if I'm wrong, but would stray neutrons react with protium to produce deuterium? My main safety concern is the properties of water in a vacuum in the event of a leak
Richard Hull

Re: Thought on cooling

Post by Richard Hull »

Your idea is impossible on the face of it due to the simple physics and losses involved. Entropy wins....Always. The game is rigged, but it is the only game in town.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Benjamin Abbatiello

Post by Benjamin Abbatiello »

Without thermodynamic variables, this world would be run on fusion. I'll look into speaking with Physics about curtailing that.
It is a great act of cleverness to be able to conceal one's being clever.
-Francois de La Rochefoucauld
Benjamin Abbatiello

Post by Benjamin Abbatiello »

On second thought, without thermodynamic variables, why would we need energy in the first place? Energy continues to astound my weak mind (as compared to the mind of the strange God who made this stuff up).
It is a great act of cleverness to be able to conceal one's being clever.
-Francois de La Rochefoucauld
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Benjamin, Philosophically interesting shorts there. Few, I fear, actually cogitate long and hard on the universe's various energies and their presentations, origins and ebbs and flows. The mind is ill equipped to go but so far before leaping into the unknown and often, the unknowable; something better minds don't want to face up to.

These musing are often best shared with like minds over a little Jack Daniels in a darkened study by a crackling fireplace to retain the purity they deserve.

Such philosophical discussion might find a better home in the theory forum, however. Too far afield and such discussions would not belong in any of these forums, but another palce on the internet.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”