Leaded Glass on Viewport, and Peephole Camera

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
David Kunkle

Leaded Glass on Viewport, and Peephole Camera

Post by David Kunkle »

Read the X-ray radiation FAQ. It says not to run a demo over 15kV, and 10kV or less is better. Still wondering if I need leaded glass over a viewport if it's only for demo mode, and my power supply right now is good for 15kV? And how thick, if any?

I plan on using a camera down the road for higher voltages and actual fusion. Also wondering if a peephole camera might be any good? No search results for "peephole". They're available in hi res and 170 degree viewing angle built in. Mostly caught my eye because of their view angle.
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
Richard Hull

Re: Leaded Glass on Viewport, and Peephole Camera

Post by Richard Hull »

Most all PC board cameras with a fully adjustable lens are wide angle enough without going ultra wide. No need for lead glass at 15kv provided you don't stare into it with your eye.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

One could always point the window at a solid wall (or some bricks) and use a mirror for viewing - the cheapskate's solution.
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

Richard Hester wrote:One could always point the window at a solid wall (or some bricks) and use a mirror for viewing - the cheapskate's solution.
Does that give you much of a wide view of the inside of the chamber or just the center area where the grid is?
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

A very narrow view of the grid only, at best, but that is all you actually need to see for control and operational purposes.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

I'm thinking even if I can make it safe with enough leaded glass, I may as well just use the money to buy a camera right away. I would like to see most of the inside anyway. So, all I need is a viewport big enough to fit the camera lense?

Ernest Rutherford
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Most single board cameras have a lens that is about 1/2-inch in diameter. A 1" view port is a giant viewport.

Richard Hull

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”