Introduction

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
RealBorg

Introduction

Post by RealBorg »

Hi there,

I want to build a fusor for demonstration and research.

I already have a vacuum chamber I can get down to 18 micron, a preliminary matrix made from copper wire and a -6kV DC power supply which gives me the well known plasma discharge (see picture). I would herewith like to apply for the plasma club ;-)

According to wikipedia the optimal temperature for deuterium fusion is 15keV. By passing an electric potential of 15kV a deuterium nucleus should be accelerated to that speed. So why do some people run their fusor at higher voltage?

My He3 proportional counter tube claims to have a working voltage of 1500V - 3000V with a required corona discharge current of <25mA. I assume they mean 25µA because 25mA @ 3000V would mean a power dissipation of 75W. You think it's viable to test the tube by hooking it up to an oscilloscope with a resistor limiting current to 25µA and a diode to limit voltage to 1500V. Should I be able to see some background radiation? how often would you expect a pulse?

Is someone here willing to help me build or better modify a circuit for my neutron counter?

Do you know of any standard device (other than batteries) which can provide 12V with a potential separation of 6kV?

I have seen working fusors with many different sizes and shapes of the matrix. Once I get the device to work I want to work on optimizing the shape (rings, tetraeder, cube) and size of the matrix, possibly adding quadrupole magnets to further focus the plasma jets.

Tom
Attachments
P1010247.jpg
Tom McCarthy

Re: Introduction

Post by Tom McCarthy »

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on reaching plasma.

However, before you start asking questions and posting, please adhere to the rules and change your username to your real name. Also, this is not the proper area for asking questions. The areas on the main page - High Voltage, Fusor Construction, Vacuum Technology etc. are for posting such questions, but before you do, make sure to read all the FAQs. They're situated at the top of each sub-forum i.e. At the top of "Vacuum Technology" there is a banner for "FAQs: Vacuum Technology." The FAQs are a great resource and will clear up a lot of your questions.

Best of luck,
Tom

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”