Greetings to the Fusor Community

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Jake Leonard

Greetings to the Fusor Community

Post by Jake Leonard »

I am Jake Leonard and I work with high vacuum systems and sputtering machines almost every day in a research facility and I wanted one of my own to play with. I got very lucky and acquired a JEOL JEE-4B Vacuum Evaporator for very little cost. Right now I am building something in between a sputtering system and a fusor. I use a variac and a MOT transformer (working on a full wave rectifier, only half wave now) and can produce a fairly stable AC or DC plasma. I have a few leaks so have not had a chance to use my diffusion pump and I do not know enough about how to run the old ion gauge to put it to use, the Geisler tube is also missing. As you can see from the arcing, I need better feedthrough insulation and something to cover the metal plate on the bottom. Anyone else have experience with a setup like this? Questions and comments are welcome.
Attachments
DC Plasma Test
DC Plasma Test
IEC Test
IEC Test
My Vac System
My Vac System
John Futter

Re: Greetings to the Fusor Community

Post by John Futter »

Welcome Jake

You are indead lucky as to where you work.
And yes your vacuum is not good, but i'm sure that you will find the leaks and progress your system as time allows.

be careful about the glass bell jar a plasma striking it may / will cause local heating that might crack it. a metal mesh screen inside for a plasma termination is probably a good idea, as well as implosion mesh shield around the outside

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”