Hello from a physics lab in the UK

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Theo Kojak

Hello from a physics lab in the UK

Post by Theo Kojak »

Hello,
Very interesting website on a very interesting subject. I'm going to have a crack at making a small machine.
I'm a mechanical design engineer working in particle physics (former CERN employee), specializing at the moment in ion source design (Penning H- sources) so am in the lucky position to have vacuum and high voltage equipment at my disposal.
I'm sure I'll have lots of very simple questions over the coming months, so I look forward to talking to some of you.
Cheers
Theo
Dennis P Brown

Re: Hello from a physics lab in the UK

Post by Dennis P Brown »

And I am sure many here would very much be interested on your insight relative to Penning Ion guns both those fashioned here and more professional ones; especially any comments on increasing performance (i.e. more current output for a given power ... .)
Theo Kojak

Re: Hello from a physics lab in the UK

Post by Theo Kojak »

Hi Dennis,
We find that the achievable beam current (both the useful H- and the unwanted co-extracted electrons) is very closely related to the volume of the plasma being generated. Therefore currently we are developing a source with a much larger plasma volume than we have traditionally been using.
At the end of this month, I am off to the US to present on this new design. Once this is done and the information is in the public domain, I will post more about it on here.

Due to the extremely compact size and very high densities achievable, a Penning H- driven accelerator is also the only type of accelerator that has ever been in space. In the late 80s the US very briefly (a matter of minutes) a neutral beam (H0) accelerator in space as a component of SDI. It was called BEAR (beam experiments aboard a rocket) and was precisely as mad as it sounds.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”