Proposed polarity-reversal experiment

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Brian McDermott

Re: Proposed polarity-reversal experiment

Post by Brian McDermott »

You could also use one of the smaller pellets as a target directly. If you can get the focusing tight enough, a pin-head sized piece could work.
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

You are absolutely right. That would jump a step (sputtering).But maybe a larger surface is better. I'm not sure.The best way is to try both. Experimenting with tungsten is also a good idea. I think i'll do these experiments once i have my fusor finished, and i have the required gear (the hardest part is neutron detection, i think i'll try to borrow a detector from somewhere). The rest is "on the way".

Adam
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

Some thoughts running through my head...
There is a runaway effect of CF cells. There is a runaway effect of the fusor (though very rare, and MAY be linked to CF).
Can these runaways be sort of fusion chain reactions? A critical value of a factor (or several factors) is met and off she goes. In case of the fusor the reason of the rarity of runaways may be due to the very rare occurance of such circumstances.
CF cells seem to do something that initiates such an "anomaly".
But what? Maybe ion density?

Adam
DavidHansen

Post by DavidHansen »

Wow, this is scary stuff. What a crude, uncontrolled experiment!

Which generation of Farnsworth's devices did this runaway occor on? Do you know which machine or any specifics of the machine's design?

David Hansen
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

Well i would not call it crude. Or uncontrolled...only if a runaway does occur. To some level it can be controlled. Once you register it, you simply turn the fusor off. Unless you die before you can make a single step, which has never ever happened, as Richard has said, everybody lived to tell.
Though it seems there has been no directed experiments, to actually initiate a runaway on purpose. A palladium cathode (solid, or plated) may proove to be interesting.
Or (and this is what can be expected), nothing extra-ordinary happens...but i don't think i should expect something right away, which happens to one fusor from a hundred once in it's lifetime.
So even if the course is correct, one might not see any positive results, right away.
Doing experiments which are directed to initiate a runaway, are a little bit like storm (tornado) chasing in my mind. With less chanse for a "perfect storm", though much more dangerous.

Adam
DavidHansen

Post by DavidHansen »

The crude experiment I was referring to was the train car reactor core. I think Farnsworth's devices are beautifully elegant, not crude. The solid palladium (or palladium-plated) target is a good idea. Or, perhaps a spherical palladium screen - recirculation of ions could still occur, so the bombardment would be effectivly greater than if it was a solid sphere.

I still wish to know which of Farnsworth's machines was involved in this spectacular runaway.

David Hansen
Brian McDermott

Post by Brian McDermott »

I think it was the Mark 2 prime, which is the one seen in all the "warp core" images.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The mark II prime was Gene Meeks machine and was a T + D machine. It never ran away. The runaway machine was not identified to me though I have surmised that it was the mark II operated by three people present. George Bain, (engineering head), Fred Haak, (Systems Engineer) and Jim Fisher, (technician).

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

Richard,

Is it known what material did they use for the cathode in that runaway device? Was it tungsten?

Adam
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The grids used by the Farnsworth teams were all stainless steel.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

There are at least two facts againts the cold fusion runaway idea.
One is that in "conventional" CF cells there is no neutron count increase (if there is any). But in case of a runaway there is a massive neutron blast.
Second is that i've never heard of CF experiments using stainless steel.
Any ideas?

Adam
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I think there are two different runaways here and we are doing an apple and oranges comparison here. CF runaway for the most part appears to be totally aneutronic. Fusor runaway appears to be good old hot fusion doing something weird.

I realize that some here wish to try and boost or insure some sort of runaway by trying CF related materials in a fusor grid. This is laudable, but linking the two forms is out of line just for the moment. CF is found to be a surface effect in a much kinder, gentler environment. Nothing in the fusor is kind or gentle. Still, all this is worth a shot especially to those looking to push the envelope or grab at straws depending on your obervational position.

Richard Hull
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

What i meant was that there are at least two things againts linking the fusor runaways and CF runaways.

Adam

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”