Daniel Klasing- Plasma Club Application

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Daniel Klasing

Daniel Klasing- Plasma Club Application

Post by Daniel Klasing »

Hello, My Name is Daniel Klasing. I go By Alex. I have been working on my inertial electrostatic confinement device for about three months now. I have managed to create a plasma using said device.
As I understand it, an application to the plasma club contains the following

-Images of both the Inner grid and the apparatus posted under this category of the forum
-details about the apparatus, mainly operating voltage and vacuum.

A picture of my apparatus as well as its active inner grid have been attached.

The voltage to the inner grid is 15 kV at 1 mA DC.
The vacuum in the vacuum vessel is at approximately 10^-4.5 Torr (this is an average of the vacuum range of the 702 oil in the oil diffusion pump at 180 degrees Celsius, as I had not obtained a vacuum ionization gauge.)
The the gasses used in the apparatus were residual atmospheric gasses once the vacuum was pulled
Active Inner Grid
Active Inner Grid
Apparatus
Apparatus
Kuba Anglin

Re: Daniel Klasing- Plasma Club Application

Post by Kuba Anglin »

You have a plasma in your device, but your pressure is nowhere near 10^-4.5 Torr. By looking at your plasma, I would guess your real pressure is above 1 Torr. This wouldn't be too concerning except for the fact that you said your diffusion pump was operating. Operating your diffusion pump above 0.3 Torr is a bad idea because the hot oil can react with the air and cause a huge mess. Your diffusion pump should specify its optimal operating pressure range. I would recommend you get a cheap TC gauge and verify the ultimate pressure your mech pump alone can pull. I suspect you have a major leak in your system. I would also inspect your diff pump oil.

Also, you should introduce yourself before posting in the general forums.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Kuba is correct, you need to introduce yourself. Also, the vacuum is more like 100 microns or so. (10e-1 torr). Bugle jets are in that range.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Nice system. Running a diffusion pump "blind" is not a good idea. Even if the pressure is safe, you can never determine if the system was evacuated enough to be clean for a good run. Ion gauges are cheap and readily available on ebay (assuming that is available - however, making one isn't very difficult if that is an issue.) Hope your DP oil is ok. Strange your micron range gauge wasn't warning you of the high (100 microns is very high for a fusor) pressure.

A side note: I see you have a water cooled cold trap that use's the DP water; be careful that doesn't take too much cooling capacity from the pump and allow the oil to get too hot. A trap isn't necessary at all for a fusor but I do think it is a nice feature. I don't see a gate valve between the DP and your chamber. Is that just not visible?

Not a fan of spark plugs for high voltage feed-thru's. Besides a a gate valve, a decent HV feed thru is a very useful addition to any future real fusor (besides deuterium and the required power supply ... .) Again, a HV feed thru is rather easy to construct so if cost is an issue (and I find those things rather expensive and made my own) that might be a better way to go then a spark plug.

I do not see your grounding wire (again, might be hidden or I missed it.) In any case, I use multiple ground points and wires to my fusor; a real fusor supply (which you may have no interest in) is terribly lethal and having redundant grounds is both smart and a critical safety feature - especial with a metal support structure. Using just a ground through the power supply isn't the safest way to go; a master ground wire to a know grounding source is far and away the best high voltage feature one can add to protect one's self.

Return to “Images du Jour”