My hope for a power supply

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Raice Oberwiler

My hope for a power supply

Post by Raice Oberwiler »

I purchased this multiplier: http://www.ebay.com/itm/332106510032?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT off of ebay, which from its description can produce 35kv at max of 25ma, but more realistically after speaking to the owner 15-20ma. I also purchased from the same person this transformer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/332106235850?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT which he said he used to power the board. I have a few questions.

1) Is this setup realistic or am i living in a fantasy land? From what you guys see, do you believe this will give me the required voltage and current to do fusion, or is everything that is written on the listings bull?
2) The owner recommended i use a zvs driver board to power the transformer. Is this smart, or is there another way i should power it?

Thanks.
David Kunkle

Re: My hope for a power supply

Post by David Kunkle »

“Intermittent duty up to 3kV output at half an amp with 75VAC 20A input at 25KHZ. Constant duty about 1/4 that."

This is probably from a dental x-ray unit. These are designed to run for a fraction of a second at a time and so the intermittent duty rating. Fusor usage will require constant output. What will happen to that 35kV and 15-20mA when you have to reduce the transformer output by 1/4?
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
Raice Oberwiler

Post by Raice Oberwiler »

i realized that, but was hoping that since the output current of the transformer is so high i could reconfigure the board to give me a more stable voltage at a lower current.
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

What input to the transformer were you planning on, and how were you planning on re-arranging the multiplier?
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

More importantly
Where are you going to get the 25kHz 20 amp powersupply
This is not a trivial put together with an aduino
it is about 1.5kilowatt of exacting design.
Unless you are a design engineer of power electronics by trade then what you have paid so far is a drop in the ocean of what you will spend making this thing fly

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”