Ask me about plasm physics

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Casimir

Ask me about plasm physics

Post by Casimir »

Well... As I am going to get my scientific degree (and I am a plasm physicist, sort of) in a while and I realised, that my physicall library is pretty huge I decided to celebrate - so let's have a questions&answers thread. Aspecially I understand, that self-educated physicists may have a trouble searching through literature, so I would be happy to be of help. But I don't post actual scans of books.

EDIT:
I am not all knowing, so don't be sad if you ask me about something I happen not to know. But I will help with those more advanced basis.
Noah C Hoppis

Re: Ask me about plasm physics

Post by Noah C Hoppis »

It may be slightly outside of a plasma physicists purview:
Do you have any good references or recommendations for mathematics concerning beam transport and optics? Mainly concerning on source extraction, and deleterious effects on an unconstrained beam.
"No missile ever flew before 10 pm"
Casimir

Post by Casimir »

Well... N. A. Krall, A. W. Tivelpiece, "Plasm Physics". That's an actual bible on the thing. If you are trying to calculate, how much roentgen radiation fusor is producing, you may not need to analyse beams at all. Mostly a ∇n[parts./cm^3]=0 (fluid) approximation and Maxwell-Boltzman distribution is of help, if we are talking of any kind of beams. There is one great article on free-free collisions too, look at the bottom of the post. My knowledge on quantum scattering for relaxation and emission cross sections is unfortunatelly poor, so here I won't help.

And what specific kinds of beam are you interested in? I mean, the question was very, very general.

http://www.cv.nrao.edu/course/astr534/F ... ssion.html
Noah C Hoppis

Post by Noah C Hoppis »

In an attempt to keep it fusor related I aimed for general, although more and more I notice posts that are labeled "not fusor related" are let pass. I digress.

In general I'm interested in beams in particle accelerators, around the ~1mA beam current mark. The hope would be to design some lensing to transport an ECR produced beam into a classic cyclotron. I've attached a beam motion simulation that I recently threw together, including special relativity.
Attachments
relativistic100turns.png
"No missile ever flew before 10 pm"
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

Not to rain on your parade Casimir, but allow me to point out a few things and give you some advice regarding your post.

1. Before getting ahead of yourself, you need to read the forum rules and adjust your name properly please.

2. Unless English is not your first language (and even if), you should go back and spend some time editing your posts for spelling and proper grammar if you want anyone here to take you seriously. We're not all hobbyists here. Most are professionals in many related fields and we value and appreciate properly formed and proofread posts.

3. This is generally not how this forum operates. We welcome anyone to the forum and love those with experience in a related field, but this is not the best way to go about it. If you have experience in specific area, I encourage you to browse each sub forum for questions from other users which you can provide some insight to instead of waiting for people to come to you for help. This will be the most efficient way for you to use the forums and will ensure that topics stay on target.

Best of luck and again welcome! Will look for your replies to some other users in the near future.

Regards,
Andrew
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I agree with all points that Andrew has suggested; we are rather loose here on topics but accelerators fit right in on the Ion Gun topic area and are most welcome. One area that remains fixed and must be followed are names - failure here will lead to deletion of posts so best to follow that rule.

In any case, do feel free to help where and when asked; and hope you do some accelerator work and post that in that forum.

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”