Diffusion pump oil sources?

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Silviu Tamasdan

Diffusion pump oil sources?

Post by Silviu Tamasdan »

I'm having a bit of difficulty finding a good source of oil for my diff pump. DC704 being discontinued it's becoming increasingly difficult to find it. For example the only source on ebay sells it from Lithuania at prices that rival those of heavy water. :)
I know that several companies have their own substitute. I have actually ordered a 500ml bottle from Kurt J. Lesker in the name of the company I own, but they take forever to process orders - after a week they haven't even acknowledged receiving the order, much less shipped it. What is a current and reliable source of diffusion pump oil that you can recommend?

(edit: I have found other places that sell diffusion pump oil substitutes, but each have drawbacks. For instance this https://diffusionpumpoil.com/product/ec ... -pump-oil/ seems a good deal, but the shipping charges are absolutely outrageous)
There _is_ madness to my method.
John Futter

Re: Diffusion pump oil sources?

Post by John Futter »

I cannot fathom this post a litre costs US$42 -the cheapest on ebay
many other suppliers
Just because Dow Corning apparently have stopped making it --probably due to the Chinese copying it
plenty available on alibaba with free shipping
Silviu Tamasdan

Hm, I can't find that oil at $42 a litre on ebay. The cheapest I have found (DC704 or equivalent) starts at about $70-100 for 500ml. There's also no diffusion pump oil on aliexpress. The alibaba sellers that I've seen have minimum orders of 50-100 liters. I don't need that much.
Last edited by Silviu Tamasdan on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Silviu Tamasdan

The 2 or 3 listings that sell it for $1-2 a liter with 1L minimum are very suspect. The others have a 50+ liter minimum.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

How are they suspect
you obviously have been in contact with them and there is something wrong
You should inform alibaba as they take a very dim view of the companies on their site ripping people off
they get barred from alaibaba
I know of a company in NZ that has bought DC 704 clone from these sites and they are very happy and their pump is big 10,000 litres per sec it stands 7 feet tall and has a 5kW heater
Finn Hammer

Post by Finn Hammer »

John Futter wrote:I cannot fathom this post a litre costs US$42 -the cheapest on ebay
many other suppliers
John,

I too have been unsuccesful in finding that US$42 per litre seller on Ebay.
Would you mind posting a direct link to that auction/seller, please?

Cheers, Finn Hammer
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

whoops
its 100ml but probably enough for two charges of a small pump
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-704-HIGH-VAC ... XQ9y9SNIwz

and note free shipping!!!!

the chinese stuff is just as good and much cheaper
Finn get together with this guy -- maybe others should join in-----bulk buy
Silviu Tamasdan

Yes, that's the seller I had found, shipping from Lithuania. So there is no better option then.
I'm still trying to work out a better shipping price with that company in New Jersey. $75 per 500ml, but shipping is $142 which is not justified for a small package of non-hazardous material.

Update: I have sorted out the shipping charges and placed an order, total with shipping was $90 for a pint. Better than $55 for 100ml, and will keep me running for a while (I have 2 pumps, one takes 25ml and the other one 65). FWIW it's diffusionpumpoil.com
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I have given this source many, many times here for all vacuum supplies to the poor and destitute.

https://www.duniway.com/catalog/supplie ... n-pump-oil

704 and 705 on the order of $35.00/100ml all day and all night.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Silviu Tamasdan

Thank you, Richard. Bookmarked.
But in the meantime, if anyone needs 705 equivalent the prices at the site above are better. We'll see how it holds up.
(edit) ordered the oil yesterday morning, it was delivered today. Will test this week-end.
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

I've heard of somebody making DIY diffpump oil (was ambiguous whether silicone or hydrocarbon), but I really cannot imagine that being a good idea except for learning about where apeizon and the like come from.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”