Hello from a seeker of fusor power generation

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
David Zweig

Hello from a seeker of fusor power generation

Post by David Zweig »

I want to build a fusor that will power my house.

I read on Wikipedia that fusors don't generate usable excess energy, or overunity. Well, Unified Gravity Corporation has put out a call for people to replicate their fusor, which they claim has an overunity factor of 16+. They are not selling anything and are not asking for money, and probably won't have anything to sell for several years (if at all).

The article appears on Revolution-Green: http://revolution-green.com/unified-gra ... generator/ and I post in the comments as PieEconomics.

The company has posted a 141 page patent application spelling out all the details on how to replicate. They claim that the device could be manufactured in quantity for a few hundred dollars, which prompted someone to call the device a fusor. Further, the company states that "they are happy to setup meetings with those who are serious about replication assistance of our fusion process."

Also see my comment (below the article) about the solid credentials of the people involved with UGC.

One of my concerns is that even with an overunity factor of 16+, the input and output are in different forms of energy. Electrical energy goes in, and this is what the company has to say about the output that is in the form of kinetic energy: "This application addresses how to efficiently produce large numbers of energetic helium ions, which is useful for a variety of purposes, including conversion into electricity." They don't address the possibility of further conversion losses, stating only that "currently, further research is being conducted concerning fusion drive ion thruster technology as well as the transfer of energy from alpha particles into direct electric current using various solid state methods."
Richard Hull

Re: Hello from a seeker of fusor power generation

Post by Richard Hull »

No over unity energy can be produced or has even been produced by any continuously functional fusion device, reactor or assembly..... Period!

The fusor is just about the worst possible fusion energy producer in the world, Yet it is the lowest cost, continuous fusion device possible on earth.

That is about all you need to know about fusion energy and the fusor.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

He might have just meant "input versus output"... by which definition a car engine is over-unity. Still is clearly crackpot territory.

There is no word on how that tiny little can is shielded against the blistering X-rays that would surely be produced.

Description of the fuels used by various processes are wrong.

Not exactly clear what gravity has to do with nuclear reactions.

Claims of replication in labs are kind of "deafening silence" -- did they get 16 microwatts out for 1 microwatt in?

I wonder if anybody from the university circuit can recognize that fancy-looking vacuum chamber. If I had kit like that, would not be trying to break physics.

Their paper looks like it sprays a proton beam into a cloud of lithium gas. Proton-Lithium 6 is an aneutronic reaction that happens, but I think it's supposed to be even less favorable than Proton-Boron... which in turn is supposed to be harder than deuterium.

The paper also looks like it is written to explain to people who know nothing about particle physics.

As far as I can tell, it looks like they started with proton-lithium beam-on-target reactors and then through some crackpot-ish process that probably does not really work, found a way to make the proton-lithium cross section incredibly large even for low energy protons -- they also claim that for some reason 227-eV protons fuse with a very high cross section.

The real question is why nobody has done this before. I wouldn't say no to trying this in the beam-on-target machine I intend to build -- but I strongly suspect that they got helium from somewhere other than fusion.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Admittedly, a nice looking rig, but Mark Suppes had a nice, professional looking rig, too. He had money backing him, as well, and his setup went bust.

More wait-and-see fusion pie in the sky. Will this, too, fade from the scene? Probably so. Just another in a long line of fusion, "sure-fire wins" crafted to power tomorrow's world.

The one thing I like about all of this is that all of the latest best efforts are working on smaller proof of concept fusion ideas. None are in the over 10 million dollar budget range, draining the public treasure. I would rather see 50, interesting 10 million dollar fusion efforts start than one like ITER in the multi-billion dollar range.

More of my, now famous rain, for the continuing floats in the parade. Followed by my long held prediction...............

No babe-in-arms, today, will ever live so long as to see one watt of fusion based electrical energy come out of a residential, home wall outlet.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”