A Bunch of Failures

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Jackson Oswalt

Re: A Bunch of Failures

Post by Jackson Oswalt » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:18 pm

I've ordered the proper Ultragrade 19 oil from Amazon and it's estimated to get here Wednesday at the soonest. I currently plan to wait until it arrive, but I'll let you know if I decide to test it out with Robinair's premium oil.
The Youngest Fusioneer At 12 Years Old

Jackson Oswalt

Post by Jackson Oswalt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:03 am

The oil arrived today and I filled the pump up to it's max value (I added a tad bit too much at first). I then turned the pump on and gave it 10 minutes to pump down. I came back to the same results I received without oil: 500 microns. So, in preparation for another test I added more Teflon tape to my adapter and tightened it until I was confident it was sealed. I've also been letting the pump sit for a bit so the oil can flow into the gears and such. If anyone has any suggestions as to things I should do before testing again they would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Bruce Meagher

Post by Bruce Meagher » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Try running with gas ballast open for 15 mins and then closed for an hour. Then repeat once and report for findings. Also include a pic of your test setup. Make sure you’re in a well ventilated area to protect your little lungs.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 am

Are you just pumping on the vacuum gauge? A decent pump will never pull just 500 microns; either you have a massive leak - i.e. a bad o-ring or non-vacuum tight connection between the gauge and pump body (Also, have you tried listening for a leak?) or water in the pump (so Bruce's advice will help there.)

It would help if you provided a photo of your setup with the gauge/pump connection system in detail. Also, is your pump oil now discolored? Maybe a photo of the oil level site glass.

Jackson Oswalt

Post by Jackson Oswalt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Running without the gas ballast makes an awful noise. Are you sure this won't damage my pump?

Jackson Oswalt

Post by Jackson Oswalt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:55 pm

I forgot to mention I did manage to get to 390 microns after running for 20 minutes.
image.jpeg
Oil level
image.jpeg
Setup
Note: I had filled the pump up to the max marking. I lost this much oil after 1hr 10mins of combined run time (two 20 minute runs and one 30 minute run). Is this normal?

Also, I don't have access to any 1bsp parts, so I used a 3/4" X 1/2" npt adapter with plenty of Teflon tape. It seems rigged up, but O assure it's very secure. I then have a 1/2" by 1/4" npt adapter so I can attach my kf25 flange. Connecting the gauge to the kf25 flange is a 1/4" X 1/8" adapter and an 1/8" nipple because the gauge has an 1/8" female port.
Last edited by Jackson Oswalt on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Futter

Post by John Futter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:20 pm

With gas ballast closed the pump should be very quiet
openeing gas ballast will give a gurgling sound that gets louder as you open the ballast further.

put a nw25 blank directly on the pump does it go quiet without gas ballas??t.

one should not leave these pumps on gas ballast as they will loose alot of oil as mist normally half an hour is enough to clean up the oil from water ingress

Jackson Oswalt

Post by Jackson Oswalt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:00 pm

When you say "put a nw25 blank directly on the pump" you mean on the inlet? Also, the gas ballast should or shouldn't be left on the pump? I don't know how water could be in the oil. It's fresh oil, I filled the pump up with the oil Thursday.

Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Yes, I’m pretty sure John means to put a blank directly on the inlet and see how much sound it makes.

Check out this post, fizz’s posts gives some good information on the role of the gas ballast.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11196&hilit=Gas+ballast

I appreciate that you’ve got new oil, but there might be something helpful there.

Jackson Oswalt

Post by Jackson Oswalt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:21 pm

So far I've done one cycle. Afterwards I reached 370 microns and am currently doing another cycle. However, I'm not sure if that 20 micron difference is do to the gas Ballanting or the fact that the pump ran for an hour. Having a blank directly on the inlet vs my gauge being directly on the inlet has made no difference in noise.