Atlas of Neutron Capture Cross Sections

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Robert Dwyer

Atlas of Neutron Capture Cross Sections

Post by Robert Dwyer »

Hello All,

In my time working with various neutron diagnostics, I came across this very useful tool I thought I would share. https://www-nds.iaea.org/ngatlas2/

This is an Atlas of Neutron capture cross sections vs. energy compiled by those at the IAEA Nuclear Data Center. Be it for fun, or for detectors, with our ability to have both a fast neutron spectrum, and (in moderated assemblies) a thermal neutron spectrum, this table is a great resource for those looking on possible materials for activation and detection.

I hope this will be a good tool for us fusioneers.

Regards,

Robert Dwyer
Richard Hull

Re: Atlas of Neutron Capture Cross Sections

Post by Richard Hull »

I tend to use the book.....

"Table of Isotopes" Lederer, Hollander, Perlman

This can be found on ABE in both hardback and paper back, large size. Contains both easy to use tables and another section with the more complex decay path diagrams and energy levels.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Chris Mullins

Post by Chris Mullins »

Thanks, just snagged that one for $4 (including shipping) at Abe. I know it's nothing new these days, but I'm still amazed at how cheap these books are, packed with timeless information. A quick search for this book turned up Richard's post from 2008 (http://fusor.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8138), where 10 years ago it was in the $20-$70 range. There are several others I've seen referenced here at fusor.net over time that I've quietly picked up, all under $10 each.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I recently obtained a soft cover version for $4.00 off ABE postpaid!! There appears to be a number of more recent compilations all in paper back/soft cover.
Tons of 'em!!!

You can learn a lot about nuclear physics just by roaming around in these tables, assuming you have a bit of background in nuclear physics or are well read on the subject.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”