convectron 275 tube and controller

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Richard Hull

convectron 275 tube and controller

Post by Richard Hull »

I just obtain two Convectron 275 controllers. I assume the convectron tube offered by Duniway is workable for the 275, but I need the cable data for the convectron controller card edge to the tube so I can make up the cable. I have no experience with this sensor, but it looks and sounds good by way of its specs.
I will not blow the big bucks on the new tube until I can wire it to the controller.

I have found the user's manual on line and I think I can wire this puppy up. I love to kluge stuff like this

Anyone using one of these want to comment on it.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jerry Biehler

Re: convectron 275 tube and controller

Post by Jerry Biehler »

I might be able to get pinouts, but do you have a source for the tube end of the connector? It is proprietary.

Convectrons are good, I am putting them on my big system, just got to make sure they are orientated so that the tube lays horizontal.
Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp »

I have a suggestion for making the proprietary tube connector, or any connector for that matter. Years ago I had a kit for making the inserts for mil spec AN connectors. It consisted of loose pins and pin sockets that you placed in the sockets or on the pins of the connector you need to mate, and then cast the insert from what looked like red colored hot glue sticks with a hot glue gun. When I ran out of the red sticks, I simply used hot glue sticks. You can get pins and sockets by dismantling other connectors and make mating connectors for virtually any connector this way. You just need to come up with something for the outer shell. Short pieces of plastic tubing work well. I’ve even made connectors with no outer shell in a pinch. They look ugly, but they work.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I refuse to ever deal with custom connectors in any form!! I use naked female pins I have in stock, (amp, old tube socket pins, etc.) Nothing stops me from an ugly, fully functional, naked wired pin setup.... I am an expert at getting stuff wired up no matter how lethal and crappy it looks. If it works, it is all good.

Many, many people can no longer "do" or consider a path forward beyond the ones that are commanded by other entities.

I found the pin outs in the manual along with the views and odd ball "skip and dance-around" numberings on the gauge tube. section 7 pages 63-66 in the manual. I can often figure pin-outs without a manual, but with the internet this is a good bit easier, provided the manufacturer doesn't consider their item and associated pin-outs "company confidential". Always try the easy way first then look for the second easiest way and on down the line until you git 'er done.

I will look at the controllers first and then think about the $160 + convectron tube.

The controllers were free for the taking!.....I picked them up at Ed Wingate's Teslathon a week ago. Good old Warren Ellingsen who always sells vacuum stuff at my HEAS event was at Ed's and remembered a request I made of him 2 years ago. He placed in my hand a new 4" CF to 2.75 CF adapter flange for $30.00. This will let me adapt my turbo to the fusor at some point. I was looking at $100 ++ for this flange from a supplier. Thank goodness I demurred.

Warren will be at my HEAS event in October with his van of vacuum goodies.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Duniway Stockroom sells the connector but it's not in their catalog, yo need to ask for it.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

It is offered in their online catalog. They offer two 275 convectron gauges. One is the true Granville-Phillips and the other is a work alike. An approx $40 differential in price.

Gotta' put my foot in the path and look at those controllers.

Richard Hull
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Oh, also, if these are the controllers with the big .156 pitch edge connector on the back:

Two of the pins on this edge connector need to be connected for the controller to work.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks, I will check the schematics and manual to determine which edge fingers need to be connected.

Richard Hull
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Edge 10L -> Shield -> 1 -> Null Whiteblack
Edge 11 -> Lowp -> 3 -> Tub 3 Redblack
Edg 12 13 -> HighP -> 4 - > Tub1 Red
Edge 14 -> Comp -> 8 -> Tub2 Greenblack
Edge 15 -> Sense -> 9 -> Tub5 Green

Here is the wiring table from my own attempt. The same for both analog and digital gauge controllers. The third column are pins of a DB-9 connector I used to make the tube detachable, and the 5th are the colors of my twisted pair cable.

I wasn;'t talking about the tube, but the connector for the tube. If you call Duniway on the phone, they can get the correct item for you, it might have a part "number" like "275-SOCKET".
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I found the pin connections in the user manual pdf file.

Richard Hull

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”