HEAS 2018 Event Photos - Comments

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Richard Hull

HEAS 2018 Event Photos - Comments

Post by Richard Hull »

Here is the place for all to reply with their photos of the event. Please post all images in the for of a reply here so they may all be collected in this one first posting as replies.

I implore all to share their photos here. Thanks

It was a hyper busy event for me as I did not take one single image. Far too busy. I rely on all those folks with smart phones blasting away to post here.

Note to the fellow who tried to e-mail me the Images of the Friday evening fusor run.....They never arrived. Please post them as a reply here now.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hull

Re: HEAS 2018 Event Photos - Comments

Post by Richard Hull »

My report.....

The event was attended by 45 people. We had 52 logged in, but those that missed it were due to sudden medical issues or car troubles.
The person who traveled the farthest was perhaps a tie between Joe Ballantyne, Washington state or Richard Feldman, California. A regular attendee of many years, Dave Rosingnoli, traveled from Colorado. Other out-of-state folks came from Alabama, New York, South Carolina, Maryland, and Tennessee.

We had a fabulous weekend for the event. Friday was overcast and cool, but no rain. The fusor run on Friday night after dinner had its first couple of runs over 900k n/s. The best run of the night was a bit over 1.1 million n/s isotropic and silver was boldly activated to about 2.5X background. The activation would have been better, but the pressure had to keep being increased and the fusor HV shut off for a half minute to adjust the pressure upwards. This allowed the silver a respite from neutron bombardment in fits and starts. Ultimate pressure for the mega runs was 16 microns of Deuterium, 41kv @ 14ma.

Saturday began equally over cast and cool(70 degrees). The sky completely cleared around 11 am and the sun pushed the high to 81 degrees. The flea-market was huge and just never seemed to die down until the 4:30 PM break for dinner. The flea market is not just buying and selling, but a learning experience as newbies and neophytes learn from the seller the many nuances related to what they are purchasing. Entire sub groups would form around a seller who might have an item that was interesting, explaining to all how to utilize and care for it in service.

For the first time in history at HEAS, on the actual day of the event, the fusor was never turned on!!! It was that much of a zoo! I announced a schedule fusor run to 2 PM and that moment in time came and went unheralded and unquestioned. I promised a post presentation evening fusor run at 9 PM that, also, never materialized as there was so much talking following the presentations by both myself and others that by 12 midnight the 20 or so that remained were not primarily fusor folks and impromptu "micro presentations" broke out both inside and outside the lab.

Presentations 7 PM

Kevin Dunn - Resonance effects in Singing bowls.
Kevin always has the most interesting presentations. He has a number of bronze "singing bowls". he showed how this had both a male and female voice as hard and soft batons were rubbed about the lips of the bowls. Filled with water and later soapy water various standing wave patterns that could be easily observed, created tall water tower crests and troughs spraying water all over outside the large bowls.

Richard Hull - Origins of the HEAS (computer slide show)
Richard video projected still images of how his interests from the 1950's until now progressed. He noted how his hobbies and scientific interests progressed from amateur metal rocketry in Jr. high school to fusors. We saw how he joined a number of scientific organizations which led to his forming three or four other groups, from astronomy in the 70's Robotics in the 80's, Tesla coiling in the 90's to fusors and high energy amateur science in this century.

T.R. Leary - Gold mining in Virginia/ growing crystals.
T.R. always has a lot of demos. He is an avid amateur Geologist/chemist. He showed all how he had a made a really innovative sluice box for recovering gold bits from Virginia streams. he displayed and passed around several vials of gold fines in water. In the second half of his talk he demonstrated his method for growing gypsum crystals.

The big take-away was cool hardware and valuable knowledge. In addition, many new friendships were made.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Thanks for the update Richard. I was waiting anxiously all weekend for someone to post so I could at least experience it vicariously given I could not attend in person.

I was at a nuclear plant in Mexico all last week, and as a result I spent the weekend with the whole Montezuma revenge experience. Obviously you all had much more fun.

Congratulations Richard on another great HEAS. I am especially sorry to have missed the presentations and of course meeting the attendees. Maybe next year.

Jim K
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks Jim and I do hope to see you next year. I am hoping that some of the attendees will care enough about all of the others unable to attend HEAS enough to share some images. So far, nothing.....

Richard
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

I miss my real time picture updates starting Friday night and through Saturday. Missed all of you. Hopefully good pictures will show up.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

Only snapped a few pics this year. One from the yard.
Luke Harell's very rare Ion Chamber serial #12
Luke Harell's very rare Ion Chamber serial #12
IMG_20181006_211755.jpg
IMG_20181005_155511.jpg
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks Andrew. Is this all the photo support we get? Sad.... By the way, the green light is chemically generated by Larry Huffstedler in a later night demo in the lab. I guess that is Andrew's new transformer. (We have a fabulous scrap yard that many visit each year.)

Frank, I was hoping others might care to share so you could get a feel for the event. I like to think no one with images has seen the post yet. If they have and are not sharing, then shame on 'em. I hope your heart is doing better.

Richard Hull
Chris Mullins

Post by Chris Mullins »

I had a great time at my first HEAS - was very interesting finally meeting the people from whom I've read years of posting history!

Here are some pics:

Richard with impromptu pyrolytic graphite demo:
graphite.png

Chris Mullins, with newly acquired 7401 alpha spectrometer, eyeing more of Richard's NIM modules:
IMG_5963.jpg

Larry Huffstedler with chemical light demo:
IMG_9220.JPG

Kevin Dunn demonstrating singing bowls:
IMG_9217.JPG

T.R. Leary trying some new headwear:
IMG_9219.JPG

T.R. Leary giving gypsum crystal growing demo:
IMG_9224.JPG

Post-presentation discussion:
IMG_9223.JPG
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thank you Chris!
David Rosignoli

Post by David Rosignoli »

Geez. Kids today have no patience for pictures. :-)
Richard, thanks for hosting a fun event!
Dave
20181006_213923 (Copy).jpg
T.R. describing either his crystal growing or panning for gold..
20181006_211721 (Copy).jpg
Larry speeding up a cold light reaction to bring up the brightness to an 11!
20181006_211643 (Copy).jpg
More of the same.
20181006_200711 (Copy).jpg
Richard Hull describing the history of HEAS, fast cars, women, and spearheads!
20181006_192526 (Copy).jpg
Dr. Kevin Dunn demonstrating brass headware
20181006_192001 (Copy).jpg
Dr. Dunn brings water to a "boil" by rubbing the rim with soft padded dowel
20181006_191012 (Copy).jpg
Demonstrating the same with bowls of different sizes
20181006_112620 (Copy).jpg
Larry dons a pair of Occulus VR goggles to see ?
20181006_103402 (Copy).jpg
Richard sells some goodies
20181006_103353 (Copy).jpg
A different angle of the host
20181006_103311 (Copy).jpg
Tables of the flea market
20181006_103257 (Copy).jpg
Tables of the flea market cont...
20181006_103158 (Copy).jpg
Tables of the flea market cont...
20181006_103127 (Copy).jpg
T.R. Sells some good stuff
20181006_103114 (Copy).jpg
T.R. Sells some good stuff here too
20181006_103134 (Copy).jpg
Andrew selling his wares...
20181006_103047 (Copy).jpg
More flea market goodies
20181006_103019 (Copy).jpg
A broad view of the flea market
20181005_223803A (Copy).jpg
Richard reaching 1Mn/sec on Friday night!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Now we're cookin'. Thanks Dave. Great shots of the fleamarket.

Oh I forgot to mention... I sold all of my 3He tubes, the giant turbo, FusorIII, and lots of Nim stuff. I hope to see this stuff put to good use. Now I have to get busy and repair all those defective NIM modules hiding out in the back of the lab for next year.

Richard Hull
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Here are a few more.
Some folks did not go to dinner, but cooked out on Richard's front lawn.
Some folks did not go to dinner, but cooked out on Richard's front lawn.
T.R. Leary's Bismuth crystals.
T.R. Leary's Bismuth crystals.
T.Even back by the lab, out into the lawn, more goodies.
T.Even back by the lab, out into the lawn, more goodies.
A typical small discussion conclave, of which, there were many.
A typical small discussion conclave, of which, there were many.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Return to “Images du Jour”