LENR / Solid State Fusor

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Harald_Consul

Re: LENR / Solid State Fusor

Post by Harald_Consul » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks for your valuable contributions.

I really googled "beam on target fusion" and found these cross section graphs
cross_sections.jpg
(Source: https://www.quora.com/What-is-beam-target-fusion)

My Questions to these cross-sections:
  1. What does a cross section of 4! in Deuterium-Tritium beam-target-fusion at 10^2keV effectively mean? 3 further chain reactions?
  2. How has the target been hold in place during the measurement of these cross-sections (which are pretty high, thus would seek design reproduction)

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:21 am

Detailed answers require you study the field a bit - for instance: the definition of a "Barn" (that will answer your question of what the "4" is in the chart.) Doing this is necessary if you want to be taken seriously here. That said, you need to realize that these are 'solid' targets - do the math and you will see why and how the target cross-section occurs for the ion beam on target. That is a very simple calculation that just needs elementary math. You have a lot of reading and studying to do if you want to be more than a speculator (and spectator - like most people that post here and then are never heard from again.)

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 pm

I can't ad much to what Dennis has posted. We cannot and will not, as amateur fusioneers, ever do D-T fusion. Looking at the charts, outside of D-T fusion, D-D fusion is the very finest fusion and has a good and useful slope up to 100 kev which is the absolute voltage limit for the most aggressive amateur fusioneer. At 100kev X-radiation is very lethal.

You notice that all reactions have a voltage peak beyond which, a process called "stripping" occurs. This means there is so much energy applied that the individual nucleons are sheared off the atom and fusion occurs less and less frequently, (cross section falls off). For D-D this is called the Oppenheimer- Philips reaction.

Thus, there is a point where fusion just stops and you are just breaking up atoms with the continuous input of wasted energy.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.