The Importance of TC Gauge Calibration

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Luke Harrill

The Importance of TC Gauge Calibration

Post by Luke Harrill »

Today I finally changed the oil in my Welch 1402 pump, so that my first steps in vacuum application could be made. I used some wire-reinforced vacuum hose to connect the nipple to a rubber cork with a hole drilled into it. The TC went into the cork and all connections were then clamped with metal rings.

My first setup was with a new Varain 0531 tube connected to a used Varain 810. As soon as I turned the pump on, the pressure started to drop. Within the first 15sec, I was down to ~100 microns. After wating about 20min, I was down to ~65 microns. I ballasted the oil and waited for about half an hour with no marked improvements. Now I wasn't pleased with this measurement, but it was only my first change of oil. I rechecked my connections with no improvements.

I then decided to test my Televac tube and controler. Both were bought seperately, but appeared to be new. After hooking everything up, I powered on the pump. It started dropping quickly again. When I looked up, I was down to ~30 microns! After 20min, I was down to 15! So again I went and rechecked the connections. Once tweaked, I managed to get the gauge to go to 5 microns and then bottom out completely!! Now, I know that the manual states that a Welch 1402 could pull down to 0.1 microns, but even with brand new oil in a used pump, that would be unlikely.

I then reattached the Varian 0531 and tested it agaian. Only 63 microns at best, so that was the true reading.

It would be nice if my second reading was accurate (and both would be okay for the turbo), but that is just wishful thinking. There is way to big of a difference to ignore, since I would like to use one of these for gas measurement. Would any of you that have a standarized meter be willing to help me calibrate these gauges?

(I will attach a photo when I can, but I am getting an error saying that the board attachment quota has been reached???) (Edit: fixed)
Attachments
........jpg
20181231_162531...jpg
Jerry Biehler

Re: The Importance of TC Gauge Calibration

Post by Jerry Biehler »

The 531 is a full range tube, 1 mtorr to atm, can't tell what the other tube is but it may have a shorter range which will give better accuracy at the lower end. But are you sure the televac controller and the tube you have matches?
Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill »

The Televac tube (model 2A) has a range of 0-20,000 microns. The controller for the 2A is much more expanded in the low end compared to the Varian. I am positive that the tube, cable, and controller match for it.
Attachments
20190101_084644[48]....jpg
Bruce Meagher

Post by Bruce Meagher »

Luke,

I have a calibrated MKS 901p you can borrow. PM me your address and I'll send it over. You can use it to check the results against your two other gauges.

I also have a similar varian 531 controller as the one pictured above. I have to zero the gauge for each specific 531 TC in order for it to be reasonably accurate at the low end. Pump to 1e-4 Torr and then use the zero pot to set the zero.

Bruce
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Bruce tells the tale. All TC gauges are hyper sensitive to the "current" in the heater portion of the tube. No specific TC gauge tube is exactly like another of the same number. They are all of a very similar manufactured standard, however. Thus, most all such gauges have a zeroing pot which is usually nothing but a current control to the heater within the tube. Needless to say, the current control is critical to the accuracy of the lower pressure end of the range. Such lower priced gauges are 100% electrical with no contained electronics.

Some gauge manufacturers are afraid to put such a pot that the user can fidget with in the heater circuit and possibly burn out the heater. Instead they rigidly control the heater current electronically and put the zero adjust pot in the electronics driving the metering circuit. Most such TC gauges have a digital readout and are a good bit more costly than the Analog metered TC gauges. In general, however, digital TC gauges are not necessarily more accurate than analog ones at the low end.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill »

Thank you so much, Bruce! With the lower end of that tube I will also be able to calibrate some of my ion gauge scales as well. Does it have the standard kf16 fitting? I'll soon be ordering an iso63 to cf adapter for my turbo (then I will be able to pump down that far).

It is great to hear that about each different tube. That puts away some of my worries about functionality.

-Luke Harrill
Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill »

Update: According to Bruce's gauge, my 1402 can pump down to 5.3 millitorr after ~15 min. I'm now waiting for an iso63 adapter to come in so that I can hook up both gauges at once.

-Luke Harrill
Attachments
20190105_203043(0)[49].jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

That micron number sounds more like the fine Welch 1402 belt drive pump that I have come to know and love. Believe that gauge.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Bruce Meagher

Post by Bruce Meagher »

Glad the gauge helped. Finn's sweet vacuum controller sure makes it easy for a quick measurement.
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

Bruce,

Were did you purchase that readout display? (I noticed that Finn Hammer is a user on Fusor.net)

Thanks, Joe
Ameen Aydan

Post by Ameen Aydan »

lihaiwodetian

Post by lihaiwodetian »

The controller for the 2A is much more expanded in the low end compared to the sdwansteelpipe. I am positive that the wanpipe tube, cable, and controller match for steel hemisphere.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

lihaiwodetian
I see that you have trouble reading
Please note the first two rules for people using this site

1) The first rule of membership in these forums is: you must create your account using your real, full, first AND last names as the LogIn/UserID for your account. If your name is John Smith, your UserID (i.e. login handle) must be John Smith, or John_Smith. This is the name that will appear in the forum listings. “JSmith” or “JohnS” or “JS997” or “handles” like “MrFusion” or “ProtonBoy” are NOT permitted. New accounts that do not adhere to this simple rule will be summarily deleted without any further consideration. Any questions? OK, rolling right along…

2) New members are required to introduce themselves in the "Please Introduce Yourself" forum prior to posting elsewhere on the site.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Finn Hammer is a very much valued experimenter and real world doer. He proved it over his rather short stay here. His last post noted that he would return at some point as he had other fish to fry for a while. I look forward to his return. We have several like him here, still, but every one like him is a real treasure and benefit to our effort.

Richard Hull

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”