Fusor Progress, Luke Harrill

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Luke Harrill

Fusor Progress, Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill »

I've almost got all the parts for my vacuum chamber and gas system. (The missing parts are marked with index cards.) I also have a Welch 1402, a Televac TC gauge controller, 2 large 75k ohm power resistors, a variac, a 50kv probe w/ meter, and a rectified xrt w/ cables.

I am still working on the following: another TC gauge controller (or maybe an ion gauge setup), grid/stalk material, current metering system, vacuum oils, and neutron metering equipment.

I can initially use activation for neutron detection, and the rest of it is providing that my current equipment doesn't need any repair.

-Luke Harrill
Attachments
2018-06-21 14.15.28.jpg
Dennis P Brown

Re: Fusor Progress, Luke Harrill

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Activation is not generally a good approach for a first time fusor attempt. The very least you will need a good x-ray transformer capable of creating the high rate of neutrons - that is, a high voltage and current device (see FAQ's on the exact levels most use for activation.) Considering the money you already have spent, maybe it would be better to consider the standard method and get a turnkey system. Richard has discussed this very issue of beginners trying activation detection a few times as well.
Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill »

It has been a while since I last updated, but I've been making a lot of progress (and messes).

I was cleaning my diff pump and managed to break one of the wires off the cartridge... On the bright side, I managed to find a mass spec at a local auction for $146. Inside was a Leybold turbovac 50 and controller!!

I have also gotten around to getting a belt and oil for the Welch 1402. I will soon be testing it, but I fear I may need to replace the mech seal due to a few drops of oil gathering on it while in storage.

Also, my neutron moderator is filled with paraffin wax! I had to keep topping it off while it cooled, as the wax expands while hot. I just hope there aren't any tiny air pockets inside of it. (I tried to paint it too, but it didn't stick well... It kind of looks like a giant prozac)

-Luke Harrill
Attachments
20181230_183725[44].jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Good work so far Luke. I see my fabulous old 55 tube counter there. I miss it. It was a love's labor restoring it. I also see some of my NIM modules, but it looks like you have made up a nice amplified speaker NIM module there. Did you use an old gutted NIM module or did you just craft a 2 space plate to fit the NIM rack and put the speaker, amp and control on the back of the plate? Either way, it looks nice.

I hope you and your dad can make it back to HEAS next year. Kit and I enjoyed having you guys dine with us at the Texas Road House.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill »

Yes, Richard, your tube counter is one of my favorites. I'm pleased that I can put it to use once again.

The speaker module was a HEAS find as well, but it is on the repair list. (It will be fixed as soon as I can fix the power supply board on my oscilloscope.) I would like to attach a photo of the circuit for you to see, but I am getting an error saying that the quota has been reached? I tried with several file sizes. (Edit: fixed)

-Luke Harrill
Attachments
20181231_114325...jpg
Last edited by Luke Harrill on Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Great find on the turbo! I did a similar thing for mine (a lower price but I was really lucky there.) I keep saying to people that finding great deals is possible but one needs to look and know what they are looking for/at.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Wow! That homemade audio NIM module is ancient! There are a number of give-aways in the view you supplied. The board's hole size and spacing are from the 50's-70's. The large TO-3 transistor feeding an audio transformer is no longer needed to drive such a tiny speaker. The single IC amp chip is of a first generation type needing a lot of "off-chip" components. A very amateur effort but sufficient for the time.

I built my own NIM speaker module in the late 90's and used the little 8 pin LM386 audio amp ( 80 cents) and two or three additional components to drive the speaker directly.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

I love old electronics like that. Nostalgia of the stuff I built during my high school days. You can actually see the parts without having to use a magnifier. Needless to say, my new designs are more compact, but I still use through hole components unless the device I need is only available in SMT. I did bite the bullet and get SMT rework equipment for doing repairs on equipment that's too expensive to throw away or send back for factory repair.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill »

Thanks, Dennis!

Richard, you are right on spot with the dates, as there are two stickers from '68 and '70 on it! You would have also noted the 2 sprague "atom" caps, but I had already replaced them when I took the photo (and cleaned the pot too). I have found 2 solder points that broke loose when I touched them, so I may have to end up re-working it a little. It is certainly interesting.

That's one of the reasons that I love older electronics so much. They are beautiful to look at and easy to repair!

-Luke Harrill
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

All my projects since the late 70's are proven on a standard .10 spacing proto-board grouping and then actual component placement of a working model is mounted on a pad-per-hole .10 G10 PC board. If it is a one-off project, that finished board serves. If for a salable item, I use Express.PCB to make up my PC boards that I design and layout with their free software.

Back in the 50's I used those old clunky boards which accepted Vector push-in terminals, if you wanted it pretty. Otherwise, I just went with the rat's nest on the board as seen in Luke's image. Signal tracing on these boards was easy....No close quarter parts.

Richard Hull
Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill »

My first light!!
(on 2-18-19)

I couldn't wait any longer to start testing, so I wired the XRT to 120 VAC, threw together a grid, pumped the system down, and turned on the variac. I initally used only the Welch to get down to ~20 microns before turning on the power. After a bit of cleaning, I was down to 14 microns and turned on the turbo.

Overall, I was able to play around in a range of 5-40 microns, 0-35kv, and 0-?? milliamps (I haven't calculated the current drop from the ballast yet). I was also able to check out the x-rays from the viewport, hv feedthrough, and a some from the shell.

I'll clean up a tad, and add a pic of my current setup tonight.

-Luke Harrill
Attachments
20190218_190420[55].jpg
20190218_190354[53].jpg
20190218_175616[54].jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Great work Luke! You are in the plasma club now. You have a good chamber and the insulator is doing great.

Richard Hull
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

Any luck yet on your regulator search Luke? I'm still keeping my eyes open for you. I'll look this coming weekend at RARSfest too in case something (unlikely, but you never know) pops up.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill »

Since my last update, I've progressed by leaps and bounds. However, there has been many learning opportunities in that time as well.

For my current setup, I decided to build a control module instead of having everything strewn about. I took a lot of inspiration from Richard's setup and included a keyed relay for both variacs, but left the pump directly switched from mains. The low voltage output is required for one of my PSUs that draw ~25A at 115V.
20210502_171044.jpg
20210422_221615.jpg
20210502_171324.jpg
Earlier my vacuum system was sitting on top of a lead-lined cabinet, without any real way of being anchored. In conjunction with the bulky lead blankets, it was a hassle to adjust the vacuum and gas controls. To fix this, I redesigned my entire system. I've gathered the leaded glass, lead sheet, and everything I need for cooling the shell. Here is a photo around halfway through the process.
20210521_045651.jpg
I had taken the time to carefully braze copper tubing on my chamber to facilitate water cooling, but apparently I wasn't careful enough! I proceeded to spend 8 hours hand-polishing the interior, only to find two stress fractures. I guess I have another doorstop or something to make a lamp with. I'm currently on the search for a replacement.
20210531_122409.jpg
20210531_122214.jpg
20210531_122338.jpg
-Luke Harrill
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Bummer!I

I have that 6" - 6 way cross I am looking to get rid of. Problem...Needs 6 6inch conflat blanks. Naturally the blanks will need ports bored and suitable appendages welded on for vacuum, viewport, gas inlet, HV insulator, vacuum gauge, etc. See you in a couple of days at HEAS 32.

Richard Hull
Ali_Hassan

Post by Ali_Hassan »

how to get these parts?

kindly, share the parts needed and where to find them?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

All the parts suppliers are listed in the "Primary Sources" posting in the trading post here I will give the URL below. All of this information is here at fusor.net. in the forums.

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=13888

Have money at the ready....Lots of it!

Richard Hull
Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill »

After all these years, finally, I have fused the atom and activated silver.

It's another step on a really long journey, but certainly not the end. There's a lot to document regarding this development and there are still several problems. This is a completely new chamber and layout: Fusor-V2. It's not quite finished yet, and I'll make an official claim post with rule adherence soon.
Setup1.jpg
setup2.jpg
setup3.jpg
setup4.jpg

Vacuum System

Starting at the Welch 1402 (and oil mist filter), my line runs into a KF "T" at the bottom of a coaxial trap. There I placed a solenoid that was previously used to vent the mass spec that my turbo came from. It had a pneumatic exhaust muffler on it already, so all I had to do was adapt it from NPT to KF. After the trap, I went to my "fail-safe" and a Varian 0531 TC gauge.

The "fail-safe" is mounted directly before the Turbovac 50. I had the idea following a power failure at work which took out a massive turbo. It is a normally-closed, KF25 valve that I have wired in parallel with my Welch. In theory, if I tripped the 240V line, it will instantly close and prevent me from losing the backing pressure while I close off the high vacuum valve and D2. I will have to make a separate post detailing some pro's and con's I've found, as well as some operator experience.

After my turbo, I run into a 2.75"CF bellow valve, followed by a 2.75"CF butterfly valve. At this point, I have a Televac 2A TC gauge where the line runs into the chamber.

I acquired a new vacuum chamber this year at HEAS. 17" Long with a 6" diameter, it's fitted with 1xISO160-F, 1x8"CF, 2x6"CF, 1x2.75"CF, 1x1.33"CF, and 1x0.75" Ultra-Torr connector. I had to do a little work on it in order to remove a protrusion in the middle. At the front end, this system also utilizes a dual-filament, nude ion gauge connected to a Veeco RG-830 meter.
chamber1.jpg
Gas System

The gas system is a 50L bottle of 99.7% Deuterium held by some of Andrew's beautiful clamps. It feeds into a Smith 111 regulator, then next into a high vacuum valve. After that, it meets a Sapphire Variable Leak attached to the chamber.

Part 1/3

-Luke Harrill
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

Nice system!

How did the power failure ruin the larger turbo? Is the "fail-safe" an anti-suck-back valve? Did your system fill with oil?
Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill »

Hello Joe,

Thank you! And the power failure was on a sputtering machine that was left under vacuum at all times. It lost backing and received an inrush of gas at full speed. This warped the fins and caused misalignment. After power had been restored, it managed to run for a little while with a weird noise. Then, of course, it self-destructed. I'll be sure to include some photos of it with the failsafe writeup.

But the failsafe is vacuum sealing, not just a anti-suck-back valve (it could be used for system isolation though). The solenoid before the trap is what I use for venting the foreline once I turn the system off. I've heard the horror stories about systems getting backfilled, so that's why I added it.

-Luke Harrill
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

Was the backing pump a scroll? Did the backing pump automatically vent (I have a dual-stage oil vane that has this "feature")?
Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill »

Hey Joe,
It was an Adixen 2-stage, rotary vane. That one should've had a anti-suckback system, but I'm not sure if it malfunctioned or a purge gas was the culprit. God only knows how many hours that pump's oil had on it before I changed it.

Part 2/3
High Voltage

The high voltage is supplied by a 125kVp 300mA oil-tanked X-ray transformer. This I removed the filament transformers from, and subsequently dropped in a 75kohm ballast resistor (brown ceramic coated). It is then ran to a Machlett HV-1 voltage divider for measurement. Next, it goes to the HV feedthrough I made.

At the moment, I am also running a shorted MOT "inductor" in series with my transformer primary to keep everything on a tight leash while testing. Once I finish sorting out a few problems, I will swap it out to a real inductor from a MIG welder. If that goes well, I'll take it off too.

For current measurements, I am using a 10ohm 7w 1% wire wound resistor from both center taps to the ground. The ground is ran from the cable to the star-ground on the back of the control unit. That is then connected via two 8ga copper cables to the shell where everything on the frame is star grounded. (Two cables were used for redundancy incase a ring connector or something failed.)
HV_System_Edit_2.jpg
I've done some work to the feed-though since it's use in Fusor-V1. I have beveled the edges internally and swapped to button headed bolts on the flange. I also opted to swap to a BNC connector for attaching the cable since it can be rotated but can't be pulled out. I then added some white silicone and a glass cylinder to it, just to be extra safe.
HV_Feed-through_Edit2.jpg
I'll talk more about shielding and thermals lower in this post, but something had to be done for both at the feed-through. To efficiently shield the x-rays, I wanted to get the lead sheet closer, but high voltage is the caveat here. So anyways, I had a styrene-acrylonitrile water filter housing, and decided to use it. (The breakdown voltage is 12-24kv/mm for SAN.) I cut some holes into the bottom of it and attached a PVC "T". On one side, I fed in the HV cable, and on the other, I attached a fan for cooling. The filter sits perfectly on the button headed bolts, creating an even gap around the entire flange.
HV_1_Edit2.jpg
Shielding

Shielding in this system is a necessity. X-Rays were rough at higher voltages. Most of the lead I used was from an X-ray film cabinet. They are entirely lined with 1mm sheet.

First thing was the viewport. I had always used a camera for Fusor-V1, but I finally I found some leaded glass: 1.6mm lead equivalency at 150kv. However, with horizontal mounting the scatter was pretty bad. Much of this is remedied by rolling a lead cylinder that fits closely with the glass.

Next up was the feed-through. I wrapped the SAN housing with 2mm, and made a 1mm skirt to cover the air vents at the bolt holes. After that, the body got wrapped with 2mm and the other parts of the same thickness received 1mm.

All good, right? No. The massive ISO160 currently uses an aluminum centering ring and a Viton O-ring. After a little thought, I found some pipe solder that would fit in the gap like an external ring. Two layers remained flush, and greatly reduced the rate. I had an excess of it, so I just wrapped it until I ran out. Later on I added a ring of the sheet stuff around the clamps to reduce it even more.
ISO_Shield1_Edit2.jpg
For the most part, all of that works great. The bottom of the ion gauge and back of the TC can put out at higher voltages, but it's not too concerning for the moment. I followed all of the lead up with some aluminum tape with a 300*F (149*C) max temperature.

Thermals

For now, I've been running under ~1kw, and haven't really soaked the grid with anything more than ~30 mA. Even then, it gets hot after a bit. I am currently limited by the big ISO flange and the Aluminum tape (180*C, 149*C). Initially I planned to water cool Fusor-V1, but we saw how that worked out... Anyways, I had already made a nice heat exchanger and reservoir. I don't plan to leave them there for looks. I will be adding something in the future hopefully. For now I just slapped on a truck temperature gauge to be conscious. Soon I'll add some thermocouples and more fans too.

2/3
-Luke Harrill
Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill »

Part 3/3

Grid

The current grid is the same one that I had in Fusor-V1. Just maybe a little uglier. (It wanted to move around too much, so I had to tie a mess into it at the top.) It's 1.5" diameter and 4-ring. I intend to make a new one soon, as well as try a cylinder and simple ring.
Grid_Edit1.jpg
Neutron Meter

Right now, the moderator for my counting system is a 2 foot section of 6" and 1" pipe, nested and filled with paraffin wax. This surrounds a Texlium "Special" P4 He3 tube with an active area of ~1"x22." Attached directly is a gutted Ortec preamp enclosure that has been modified with an HN connector and rebuilt with a Cremat CR-110. The tube is biased by an Ortec 459 recently I have been running at 1.5 or 1.6kv with the other settings adjusted for such. After the preamp, the signal runs into an Ortec 571 shaping amp, and then to a Ludlum 2221 that acts as an SCA and scaler/ratemeter. (I want to run full NIM eventually, but I currently lack a ratemeter for such.) After all is said and done, I measured and marked where it is sitting on the frame: 37.16cm away, axis-to-axis, centered.
NeutronSetup_Edit2.jpg
Neutron Oven-V1

My oven consists of 8 slabs of HDPE stacked together with a tray for the center one. Generally it is rotated so that I have 3 layers in front of the sample and ~5 behind it. This puts my tray volume at 15.56cm away from the center point.
Oven1_Edit1.jpg
Silver samples

My first sample is a 1922 silver dollar that I keep as a necklace. It's 90% Ag 10% Cu: the first thing that I activated.

The second sample is roughly the same diameter as my silver dollar (37.86mm), but it is 99.999% Ag, 9.17g, and 0.815mm thick. I hammered down a 31.1g sample, trimmed it, used a hydraulic press to flatten it more, then it was rounded, polished, stamped, and etched. It isn't foil by any means, but it's a fair target.
Samples1_Edit1.jpg
Run Photos

First light of Fusor-V2 took place on 2021-11-13, the grid was adjusted after this, so you will notice that the ion beams aren't coming in the same sections of the grid, but they always occur along the axis of the chamber.

The second image is of my first activation-yielding run on 2021-11-20, I didn't even have my neutron system up and running yet, but was able to hold extended run times at low power (2mA, 50kv, 15min). I managed to get a massive total of 38counts/30sec in the first timed count on my necklace!!! Hahaha. Background average was 17counts/30sec. Since then, I've done some much better activation work. I'll be posting them with a formal report.

The third image is with a little more power on 2021-11-24 while testing the neutron setup and sorting a few things out. I think that photo was around 15mA at 45kv.
Plasma_Edit2.jpg
-Luke Harrill
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Congratulations on your first plasma in the new system; your builds are massive and impressive as are your updates ;) . I really enjoy reading such details and seeing the images. Glade you are being extremely careful with the x-ray issues - a concern of mine (in my case, a bit overly) but with your voltage and current I realize that must be a huge concern. I was distressed about your power failure and loss of the turbo - that is not something any one would want and a worry of mine of late (turbo loss but more due to age of the unit for me.)

Interesting that I was considering running my new fusor (w/deuterium) yesterday but decided to hold off. Not long after a tree took out all local power for much of the day. Both good and bad timing.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Luke great work and reporting on your system. Very well done and well reported. I look forward to your future activation reports. I really like the custom labeling of the pure silver disk you made up. I am glad you obtained and worked out a piece of pure silver for activation. I have not seen many fathers who are there for their kids to the level you dad is. I always enjoy chatting with you guys at a meal when you are up for HEAS.

Fail-safe setups are on most all fab lines and large scientific lab systems. I have always said never, ever, trust an anti-suck-back valve in a mechanical pump. Assume it is not there on your pump, even if it is and even if it works perfectly. A belt and suspenders approach.

Jim Kovalchick is also one of those special fathers who backed Mike,, who is now graduated and in the nuclear biz. After Mike made the neutron club, Jim started his own separate effort some years back and has earned his place among the elite fusioneers doing activation.

Thanks naturally goes out to all those unmentioned father and parental heroes who supported their child during their swing at fusion.

Richard Hull

Return to “Images du Jour”