Vaccum pump and fusion chamber recommendations

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
William Pete

Vaccum pump and fusion chamber recommendations

Post by William Pete »

Hello,

I am looking for a quality vaccum pump and fusion chamber.

I have seen Edwards brand mentioned frequently on here, and despite not seeing MDC branded fusion chambers (just haven't searched the forum extensively for this part yet) their brand seems alive and well as far as new parts are concerned.

Are there any particular model #'s for Edwards vaccum pumps that are particularly desirable for this use? I'm probably inclined to use a newer MDC chamber for the fusion portion of the product.

Thank you for your time and responses
Dennis P Brown

Re: Vaccum pump and fusion chamber recommendations

Post by Dennis P Brown »

If you are buying a used pump, brand isn't very important but performance is - a two stage pump that get achieve 5 microns or so is whats needed.

You write that you haven't seen an MDC branded fusion chambers? Not sure what you mean. There are no commercial fusor chambers. People build their own using various methods.
William Pete

Post by William Pete »

So what are some examples of Edwards fusion pumps that might qualify for this use?

Also - https://www.ebay.com/itm/MDC-Ultra-High ... :rk:1:pf:0

Does this work for the fusor chamber?
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

That is a rather nice chamber; pricey but looks very nice. The missing door port can be used for a window flange. Again, not an inexpensive item but I assume you don't do machine work so making your own flange/window assembly that isn't an option.

As for pumps, any two stage vacuum pump (oil) should work fine. Get a pump guaranteed by the seller. A diffusion or turbo pump will be needed for a real fusor system. Also, a deuterium source - most companies do not sell bottles of deuterium gas to private people. Some people here make their own. Before committing to a fusor be aware of this issue. Also, a 25+ kV 400 watt or greater DC negative power supply is essential. These appear on ebay but are not cheap.

There are FAQ's and many, many posts by people on these issues. Search the forums for details.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Oddball 6.75" CF flanges. Not pleasing, but at least a couple of ports seemed to have useful 2.75 CF adapter flanges.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

If money is no object, here is an interesting configurable system:

https://www.idealvac.com/6x6x6-Vacuum-C ... 42-141-334
William Pete

Post by William Pete »

Can anyone verify these items posted by Joe as viable? Looks nice, a little pricey - but nice.

Edit: if I understand correctly from what Joe posted plus a power supply and deuterium gas I would be set - would I not?

Return to “New User Chat Area”