Joe Gayo's Fusor

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Joe Gayo

Joe Gayo's Fusor

Post by Joe Gayo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:07 pm

Pressure: 25mTorr (4mTorr base)
Voltage: 40kV (50kohm ballast resistor)
Current: 6mA

Detector: CHM-11 (1600V, 64x Gain, 3V Threshold)
Run CPM: 622 (Avg 5 min run)
Background CPM: 2 (Avg 30 min)
IMG_0811_sm.jpg
IMG_0810_sm.jpg
IMG_0871_sm.jpg
IMG_0806_sm.jpg
IMG_0803_sm.jpg

Joe Gayo

Re: Joe Gayo's Fusor

Post by Joe Gayo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:13 pm

CHM-11 Tube Adapter Box

HV Input w/ RC Filter (2Meg * 47nF)

Bias w/ 50Meg

AC Couple w/ 33pF
IMG_0800_sm.jpg

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Nice. Can't wait to see those bubbles.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Cristiano_Machado

Post by Cristiano_Machado » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:02 am

Congratulations! It is a very nice and compact setup.

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:10 am

Thanks.

4-6 weeks will be a long wait for the bubble dosimeter, but worth it.

Ameen Aydan

Post by Ameen Aydan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:45 am

Really nice setup man! You must have worked hard and long. I'm sure if you live close to a large city that there are calibration services or people on this form who are willing to calibrate with you. Good luck on your efforts, but judging how well this system is, I don't think your going to need it.

Ameen Aydan

Cristiano_Machado

Post by Cristiano_Machado » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:24 am

Do you really need a BD? I know it is a positive proof, but I believe (I am not an expert) you can already claim that you produced neutrons in a fusor, and be part of the Neutron Club.

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:39 am

I would rather wait until my setup is calibrated. I have a high degree of confidence that neutrons are being generated but an exact quantity (+/-20%) is more satisfying. In addition, I’m improving the signal processing of the neutron pulse in the meantime.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:06 am

We, in the past have seen the Russian tubes mis-used, mis-calibrated and regularly detect the x-radiation from a fusor operating at 35kv and above.
The BD doesn't respond to X-rays at all, nor does a well worked, high pressure 3He tube or BF3 tube.

Boron lined tubes can also detect x-rays. Too many of the applicants have zero experience with electronics. Those who are proficient in electronics often have no experience with nuclear instrumentation. Those who do have a passing experience in nuclear detection electronics seem to have never constructed, worked on and tested a good, reliable neutron detection system.

The very fact we never get the classic test right out of the chute by electronic detection claimants explains a lot about their competence in neutron metrology. This gives rather constant pause to such first pass claims. We have explained this test over and over again but to no avail. It seems to zip right over the heads of all claimants.

I fear many do not read at all or to not read for comprehension or just read, understand and refuse to deliver. One of the great mysteries here.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:12 am

Richard,

I assume you are talking about tests with and without the moderator, then with and without deuterium in order to eliminate x-rays and electronic noise respectively.