Small factoids about the forum - It has been 20 years!!

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull

Small factoids about the forum - It has been 20 years!!

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:13 am

20 years is a long, long survival time on the internet and we have made it. If you look at when a person joined contained within their avatar, and it is in mid June of 2001, it is not really correct. Those signing up around that time were old guys, like me and others here who might have been on songs.com or the intranets version of these forums between 1998 and Jun 2001. Like ants, all the old site guys immediately scampered over to the new site within days of the old site shutdown notice. *note: both the intranets and songs.com are archived and can be reached for historical reference on the front page of the forums.

This is our third and longest lasting venue, thanks solely and continuously through the generosity and good will of the perfesser, Paul Schatskin.

There have, indeed been contributors in the form of money to Paul for help in defraying costs of keeping the site up. We thank all now and in the past who have helped out with donations as mentioned and requested on the cover page.

Paul has had a number of assistants in maintaining the site. No longer here, Ryan Edgar played a big role in the early 2000s. Now Frank Sanns and myself help Paul with a more constant oversight and maintenance of the forums. I am not the progenitor of this site nor do I claim to be the main guy to contact when something breaks or needs transferring. I am the rather constant "overseer", deletion monster and garbage man on this site. Frank is the go to guy on big forum breakdowns or surprise changes issues. Paul will be informed by both of us if there are any significant issues as he is not a constant viewer of the forums.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: Small factoids about the forum - It has been 20 years!!

Post by Frank Sanns » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:43 pm

It has been an interesting ride over the years. It was the Songs and Intranets that hooked me back in the day. It was a wealth of information and discovery. There was not fluff. It was get to fusion any way you could. The people posting were the people doing the work that brought us to where we are today.

Paul had the vision and Richard had the expertise and he put it down. The rest of us followed these pied pipers who led by doing and inspiring the rest of us to get involved.

I remember the day I discovered those early forums. It was real scientific work but still in its infancy. There were many stories going around and many theories but what we did, especially once this iteration of the forum was up, was good science with collaboration.

Discussions today that seem trivial were monumental to those of us doing fusion and documenting it. Everything from neutron detection to welding your own chamber to making your own feedthroughs to power supplies to theoretical discussions on "run a ways" to mean free path. The years up to around 2006 contains 99% of all of the technical information that you see on here today.

Information was forged on these forums. Now it is easy pickings for newcomers to read the hard work of many from the early forums to read the FAQs and get right to it. The hard work was already done. The blueprint is already laid. I am happy to have participated during that period. It was a unique time.

The mission of the forum is now still technical but it is also a mentoring site for those blossoming young people that have an interest in fusion and the related technologies. Many of the past participants in this forum now have degrees and are working in a related field. Now there is a success.

Richard Hull

Re: Small factoids about the forum - It has been 20 years!!

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:31 am

Very true Frank. This site inspired those with the right stuff and the best of the best of our flowering youth from those times. Many now have graduate degrees in any number of the sciences and engineering. That, as you note, is the real success here. We put the notion of the doing in their heads and they went forth and did. We wish Godspeed to any and all traveling the road from this forum forward into their future.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.