Demo fusor build 2.0

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
steven vr

Demo fusor build 2.0

Post by steven vr »

Time for upgrading the demo fusor to a stainless steel chamber instead of the Bell jar i have used in my previous setup. Found a auction in the netherlands (https://www.iveindhoven.com/page/3/?s=v ... e=voorraad), they have huge stock of used vacuüm parts, turbo pumps, valves, flanges, you name it! Managed to pick up a nice 10 cm diameter vacuüm chamber with a nice vieuwport.
49090692_530837330758514_7454408817338482688_n.jpg
My vacuümpump is a 2 stage rotary pomp. Max. vacuüm: 0,0215 mbar/ 15 micron, yet to confirm because no propper gauge at hand.

https://www.vosinstrumenten.nl/onderwij ... p-vos.html

In eindhoven they offered me a deal on this Leybold Turbovac 150 CSV turbo vacuümpomp with controller and cables, heater element, cooling,...and it will fit on my new vacuum chamber. I will pick it up later this month, + a better vacuüm gauge.
49051949_1972541972858582_5689398363598880768_n.jpg
Power supply is a Klinger neon transformer, controled with a old Variac i picked up at a local store. I am building a full wave brige rectifier with 4 diodes i have to convert to dc. The transformer is only 3.15 kv 63 mA. Yet to find a better power supply. Not easy to find here in Belgium.

https://www.tweedehands.nl/witgoed-appa ... 90084.html

With this modest setup i had some nice looking plasma in the chamber, i could do some tests with argon i have from the welder. First fixing some leaks.
49001948_318617028774962_2650359747823271936_n.jpg
49098482_219618098970949_8021811616758628352_n.jpg
49079324_288572382002710_6063760958797381632_n.jpg
Last edited by steven vr on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Futter

Re: Demo fusor build 2.0

Post by John Futter »

please learn how to attach the correct size photos to your post so that they are stored on this forum and not some third party viewer site
later many will want to see what you have done and if the viewer site you have selected has gone /you are not a member/payer anymore or whatever else causes web sites to dissapear this will become a wasted resource
steven vr

Post by steven vr »

Pictures look ok now?

Did a test today with a smaller inner grid. the chamber is now getting way hotter then it used to be. Alsow the plasma out of the grid is making some pulsing waves, is this due to the ac power i am using now?

https://www.facebook.com/steven.vanruij ... 816237572/

and a picture of it when running for about 10 minutes.
48921912_465098564033596_5906692209486331904_n.jpg
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Nice setup; hope you secure a proper negative high voltage system. Do remember a real fusor supply is lethal.
stevenvanruijssevelt

Post by stevenvanruijssevelt »

Finaly Fixed all the leaks in my setup, after a couple of days with the fusor valve closed i am still able to make a good plasma without running the pump. Replaced all the cf gaskets with new one's. Replaced all the copper pieces with stainless steel, with much less connections overall.

DSC_0380.jpg

Due to insulation issues i had to make a new hv feedtrough, as i am working in the ceramic industrie, i was able to make it myself, with parts we use for high velocity burner ignition system and a ceramic two components glue we use for glueing ceramic burnerheads to the stainless parts. Baked at 1400°c it is able to hold well onder vacuüm.

I was able to get it to jet mode now. I seem to get better results with my 3.15 kV 63 mA transformer then my 15 kv 30 mA chinees transformer. next up: find a better power supply, trip to holland for the turbo,...

DSC_0373.jpg

DSC_0370.jpg
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Steven
its time to fix your login to conform to site rules
You nearly have it right
But

you may have missed it but you have to correct your login name and persona

Rex has kindly provided the following for you to correct your account details

When you registered you clicked and accepted the terms that were given on the 1st registration page:
Fusor Forums - Registration

That page contains the same rules as what is listed here:
Board index - Announcements - Announcements and Site Administration Topics
Fusor.Net Policies and Procedures
viewtopic.ph ... 508#p69690

and specifically The Rules: #1
The forum rules require you to use your full name as your username. If your name is John Smith, your UserID (i.e. login handle) must be John Smith, or John_Smith. This is the name that will appear in the forum listings. “JSmith” or “JohnS” or “JS997” or “handles” like “MrFusion” or “ProtonBoy” are NOT permitted.

Also there is: The Rules: #2
New members are required to introduce themselves in the "Please Introduce Yourself" forum prior to posting elsewhere on the site.

You have not complied. Please change your username to comply.

Changing your Username

Here's how:
Login to the board
click your current username in the upper-right of the main page and select User Control Panel from the pull-down
In the tabs at the top, select Profile
At the left column, select Edit account settings
Edit the Username: field to be your full name
Type your password in the Current password: field (near bottom of page)
Click Submit button at bottom
Note: After you change Username, the new name becomes what you use to login to the Forum. Your password should remain the same.
I also suggest adding a Location to your profile. It can help to know generally where a member is in the world to adjust a response to them. I have used my City and State, but if you are worried it could be more general -- just State, something like Central USA, just your Country is better than nothing.

Adding a Location
(Skip the first 3 steps if you are already in the Profile section from doing the Username update.)
Login to the board
click User Control Panel near the top of the main page
In the tabs at the top, select Profile
At the left column, select Edit profile
Edit the Location: field
Click Submit button at bottom
This Location information will appear in the right column, under your name, when you post.
stevenvanruijssevelt

John

I would like to inform you that i allready introduced myself,viewtopic.php?f=45&t=12577
About the username i get the message that my username is to long if i use my own full name. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

regards

steven van ruijssevelt

You don't need to tell me twice ;-)
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Nice jet. Guess a real power supply and a deuterium source are on your to buy list.
stevenvanruijssevelt

Thanks Dennis,

Messer is offering me a lecture botle of deuterium with correct regulator for a fair price, but i think it is best to wait untill i have neutron detection, turbo pump, and power supply. I have experimented with A PEM cell but it was not that conveniant comparing to the cost of the compressed deuterium.
Fourny Victor

Post by Fourny Victor »

Hey Steven, You said in your first post that you will buy a new pump. Do you have done it yet?

Thanks, Victor
JoeBallantyne

Post by JoeBallantyne »

You might consider putting a piece of sacrificial glass inside the chamber in front of your very nice large viewport. So that if you get a jet that ends up pointing at the viewport you don't end up cracking it and ruining it. You wouldn't be the first to lose one due to localized heating from a jet.

Better to break a cheap piece of glass in front of it, than a very expensive to replace vacuum viewport.

Also, if you just try your first name followed by last name, that won't fit as a username? (ie: drop your middle name and the spaces)

I suspect it might work OK.

Joe.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”