James Findlay's device

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
JonBaker

James Findlay's device

Post by JonBaker »

Hello,
I am a new user and I had a business partner named James Findlay who was working on a tabletop fusion device. I have seen it function, as he did finish the project. Unfortunately, some things came up and most recently, James has passed away in January 2019.

I am interested in following in his footsteps and figuring out the parameters to get the device to work. It is not in my possession at the moment. I am also interested in knowing if he had contacted anyone on these forums, I heard he was collaborating with some people in Europe, possibly Scandinavia, and had even visited their lab. He is from Boise, Idaho, USA.

Does anyone have any leads? Has anyone else here completed a fusion device yet? He was interested in producing a device that could generate nuclear isotopes on location at hospitals for medical imaging. I am interested to see if I can help his vision move forward after his passing.

Thanks
Jon Baker
Dennis P Brown

Re: James Findlay's device

Post by Dennis P Brown »

A number of people here have achieved "table top" fusion here using a fusor. I have as well. That said, one can answer some of your questions on a fusor "parameters" via reading the related FAQ's here on the forum. I do not know any details on James' work here and maybe others can post on that subject. Certainly you can search his posts to learn who he was talking to and subject matter.

As for creating medically usable isotopes, I seriously doubt that is remotely possible.
JonBaker

Post by JonBaker »

Thank you so much for your insight. What makes you think it wouldn’t work for medical isotopes? I’m probably the least informed out of anyone here. I plan on researching what James was working on to learn more about the potentials of his device.
JonBaker

Post by JonBaker »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusor

This Wikipedia entry on the fusor mentions it is being used for medical isotope generation.
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Dang. My reply vaporized when I submitted it. Trying again.

Searched "James Findlay" here. Apparently he was active before I joined (around 2010-ish?). He deleted all his posts on this forum around mid 2011. This caused some disarray in the database. See this thread for info on the hubbub it caused.

"Massive deletions"
Post by Richard Hull - Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:28 am
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=437

So there won't be much historical info to find here. Maybe a search on the Wayback archives with 'site:fusor.net' might recover something from then. I didn't try.

Don't know if long-term members might have comments on what he was up to.
Rex Allers
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks ever so much Rex for the tough leg work on this.

As you know and many others here over the years have witnessed the "deletion effect". Every now and them we get a person who once they are into this fusion biz here learn just enough to think they have a salable brainstorm. This pushes them ever forward to lock out any track of their work here, feeling that sharing is not good and they are on a million dollar ride in fusion. I doesn't matter what the scheme is or that it is doomed, they just go off on their own.

Maybe once the world shortage of medical isotopes was mentioned to Mr. Findlay and with the knowledge of how technicium is made, (bombarding Molybdenum with neutrons), He figured to cash in with his fusor based neutron source. It shows how a little knowledge can be dangerous or costly to the wide-eyed neophyte and or his investors.

Those of us in "the know" realize the fusor can't be used to make usable or in many cases, even detectable technicium from our fusion generated neutrons.

Other folks cut-out of fusor.net as they are sure they can ramp the system up or achieve power ready fusion in some fashion and seek to "protect" their work rather than blab on about it in an open source forum.

I have had a couple of requests to help a relative newbie out and remove all of his e-mails as he feels he might be in violation of a confidentiality agreement.

And, of course the beat goes on and on.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”