Capillary Gas Fitting

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Mark Rowley

Capillary Gas Fitting

Post by Mark Rowley »

Shown is the capillary gas fitting I plan on using to slowly feed gas into the 2.75” cross chamber. The needle valve will be a slow flow Swagelok SS-SS4. I’m also considering another higher flow valve before that with a T fitting so I can purge the feed line faster.

Mark Rowley
Attachments
F823DC69-982B-48F2-9AF8-B539A350E3EB.jpeg
Richard Hull

Re: Capillary Gas Fitting

Post by Richard Hull »

Carl Willis and one or two others have, in the past, used that exact tiny bore SS tubing, but about 10 feet of it carefully coiled up in a 4 inch diameter to really deeply reduce the flow rate. Carl later settled on a precision laser drilled disc to warrant a precision flow rate over a variable gas line pressure range.

I have actually bought several of these coils with attached swagelock fittings as part of vacuum assemblies used in the medical and fab systems at hamfests and even at our yearly HEAS gathering.

Carl's original posting is well buried in past posts. The locating of this old post is an exercise left to the student.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Richard,
I think this may be the thread you were referring to. I vaguely recall reading it 13 years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2631&p=15853&hilit= ... oil#p15853

Mark Rowley
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

You found it! Wow! I am suitably impressed. Yes, that was when I was still in the 500K top end with Fusor IV. Carl was a leader in gas flow control ideas. Actually, he was always a super innovator as was Jon Rosenstiel. Ultimately, Jon would blow past us all in Neutron numbers and, along with Carl, did some of the first activation work and submitted gamma spec charts by the dozen.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”