Neptunium's fusor progress

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Richard Hull

Re: Neptunium's fusor progress

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:52 pm

Many of these custom or even stock HV supplies have all sorts of lockouts for customers to wire trip switches in cages etc to prevent operation if a cage door is open. Arcing is a possible killer of a supply and will certainly shut a supply down immediately. Again, no real HV supply ever made in a professional scenario is designed to work a flaming arc. Some can't survive a flaming arc drawn.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:43 pm

If it is tripping because of a run away current, what ballast resistance are you using in your fusor circuit? My system would surge over 100 ma at startup but I had a simple x-former and diodes so not an issue; I did have a ballast resistor in my circuit and it was both the ohm and wattage Richard recommended but a fusor can act much as a dead short for a fraction of a second. That can trip any feedback system for PS that have that feature so that might be the issue.

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:07 am

Got to be built like for old school tube transmitters in which tubes have arcs that are dead shorts for an instant, yet don't kill the tube as long as it doesn't last too long.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

John Futter

Post by John Futter » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:45 am

I have no knowledge of this unit
but
many x-ray supplies are setup to turn off when the the tube arcs to save the tube
other supplies notably Spellman have arc counters on ordinary supplies to protect the diodes and capacitors in the multiplier stack from overheating from dV/dt events.

As has been already asked what value is your ballast resistor ie somewhere between 50kohms and 200kohms. If you do not have one read up on what you need before you destroy your power supplies

vince_Darmancier

Post by vince_Darmancier » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:23 am

No this is not a ballast issue. i am not at that point yet. i have read on ballast for the current surge and i am still working on that.
The HV does not power on its own i have to physically hold the magnetic contact to get it to power up.
I have another Glassman positive 40Kv that works great and never trip even when starting up vacuum tube or with a spark gap..although it might have an internal protection, it does not have a HV power switch.
This larger unit on the other hand is capable of 50mA and when set to maximum current trips with the first weak 20kv spark.
and thats only when holding the connector down .
You might be right about the arcing protection, but for now i am just trying to get it to power up normally without holding down the connection inside.
Rex suggested looking at other Glassman units and i should take the time to do that, their probably wired the same way..

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:27 am

As I mentioned before, you may have a plug or barrier strip on the back of those units. Some HV supplies offer that remote safety switch option. As such, you may have to short two pins on a plug or barrier strip before HV will allow that relay to pull in. If this is the case, an owners manual would mention that fact. I own a Glassman with that feature.

Old Universal Voltronics supplies also had a number of tricky gottchas that would not allow the supply to power up. Most notably, if the filament in the HV "ON" light was blown, the supply would not come on.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

John Futter

Post by John Futter » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:21 am

By golly
Richard I had forgotten the rules for x-ray supplies
yes you had to monitor the HV on /enabled and the x-rays on lamp currents to make sure that these were lit when activated otherwise the supply would not let x-rays be produced.
All a bit inane in this modern day of LEDS but we still have to put this circuitry in even for
LEDS.
yes the interlocks need to be in the right logic state to let the psu operate there well could be two or three circuits two being short to enable and one open to enable with all having to be true for the big relay to pull in

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:13 pm

Yes, when I was in Tesla coiling, one fellow in our group was tickled while monkeying with his Tesla coil's primary circuit due to the variac, turned down, still supplying 1 or 2 volts to his high voltage 14,400 volt transformer. Determined to never let that happen again, he rigged up a micro-switch under his seat cushion at his coil's master power control panel. This meant his butt had to be in the seat, away from his Tesla coil, before line AC would even reach the coil's main panel's on-off switch and contactor!

Richard Hull