Need some help

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
steventw

Need some help

Post by steventw »

Hey

Was directed to this forum for post for help with my fusion experiment.

Have a prototype built
44C20544-8A0F-468D-B36F-E7198299E0CB.jpeg
But need help getting a better vacuum and creating plasma at base of magnets to spin upto centre from both sides
Magnets have same pole facing centre to repelling.
So if plasma spins up to centre then plasma coming from other side will be spinning opposite direction

Here’s some link to other people’s work that helped with idea
https://youtu.be/2B-lKgcQJvg
And
https://youtu.be/uPU9cEK5YsM

As can see the magnetic field makes plasma spin around outside where field line are and with a fair bit of speed.
So idea is to use the kenetic force the magnetic fields give the plasma to in theorie line up plasma coming opposite way to collide somewhere in middle with enough force from magnetic spin to hopefully lower power requirement for fusion...

Hopefully have explained in a simple enough way to understand with pic of prototype and vids to help explain idea

I live in Melbourne Australia.
Any help locally would be great
But if someone understands what trying to do and has experience and equipment to help finish I could send prototype over to where ever.
But would be good to finish at my parents factory has workshop ect

Anyway
Hope someone can help

From Steven Whittam
Patrick Lindecker

Re: Need some help

Post by Patrick Lindecker »

Hello Steven,

It would be more easy to understand with a diagram. All this is a bit fuzzy.

I understand that you want to create a "Biconic cusp" (2 solenoides with an inverse current so magnetic fields in opposite direction). I suppose that you are going in some way not described, to inject a plasma of ions and electrons inside the magnetic field. It's true that charged particles are going to rotate in opposite direction (due to the opposite fields). So if it is supposed that ions are going to rotate also and will have some opposite axial speed (so as to meet), they are going to collide with opposite azimuthal speed, around the center of the device (where B field cancels). Why not.

However I'm not sure that your magnetic fields be sufficient to make rotate ions. The Larmor radius r (rotation radius) is equal to r=mV/qB.
Let's suppose D+ ions with q/m=4.8E7 C/kg
Let's suppose that ions have a mean energy of 40 keV so a mean speed of 2E6 m/s, for a frontal energy of 80 keV.
If you want a mean Larmor radius of let's say 5 cm so r=0.05 m , you will need a B field of B=mV/qr=V/r/(q/m)=0.8 Tesla which is a big value for an amateur!

Note: if you like new ideas or new concepts, you might, first, read a book which name is "Project Sherwood - The US program in controlled fusion" by Amasa S. Bishop. It is a good abstract of almost all the ideas that have been tried in the past and are, for someones, still of actuality.

I hope that your understand my "English".

Patrick
Justin Fozzard

Post by Justin Fozzard »

Following on from Patrick's comments about the ion gyroradii, here are a couple of graphs that show the Larmor radius for various field strengths and energies:

Gyroradius.png
ISM Deuterium Gyroradii.png
I hope these help your investigations.

Justin Fozzard
steventw

Post by steventw »

Thanks for comments

Honestly don’t know what the graphs mean.
I’m more going for a try it and see approach

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”