Going Out On A Limb

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull
Site Admin

Re: Going Out On A Limb

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:26 am

Unlike you, I do not believe any conspiracy killed the fusor. The Viet Nam war impacted it coupled with the feeling at the AEC that it was a dead end based on Watson and Tucks early work, (Late1940's), in electrostatic confinement efforts.

In Amasa Bishop's book "The Sherwood Project" He talks of how Watson and Tuck had pretty much proved IEC was a dead end. It was Bishop at the AEC demo of the fusor who, (according to Robert Hirsch's own words to me), leaned back in his chair after the lunch break and demo of the fusor and looked out at all the other AEC fusion project managers present and said "if we fund this, whose budgets will this work come out of"...... Hirsch told me he knew at that moment IEC was sunk. Yes, other guys who headed their own fusion projects at that table had their butt-holes pucker at the thought of losing one dime of their money to help fund a new IEC effort within the AEC.

Viet Nam impacted all government funding as money was being poured into the military and war effort. It was lean times for fusion funding as it was considered a rat hole for tax dollars. Johnson's "Great Society" program was dumping dollars to the non-working, non functional in society to keep them off the streets and not burning down too many more cities in riots.

Oil companies were not worried at all about a fusor or fusion in general. They were rolling dough as the US citizens in the 60's had cars with 400 cubic inch engines in them getting 8-10 MPG in the city and at 30 cents per gallon they sold plenty of gas for the guzzlers.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:31 pm

In my biography of Philo Farnsworth, I quoted the philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer, who said that "the truth goes thru three phases: first it is ridiculed, then it is opposed, then it is recognized as having been self-evident all along."

I think the evolution of the fusor falls somewhere between steps and and two in that scenario.

And unlike Richard, I am not enough of an actual scientist to disabuse myself of the notion that someday, in some distant unforeseeable future, it will eventually arrive at step three. I have clung to that notion since first learning of the fusor in the summer of 1973.

Perhaps it is to my advantage that I am insufficiently schooled to not be able to think, "we're missing something here...",

Anybody heard from Doug Coulter lately?

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Justin Fozzard

Post by Justin Fozzard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:04 pm

Doug Coulter has recently been active on his forum posting some interesting results:

http://www.coultersmithing.com/forums/

Regards to all,

Justin Fozzard

Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:29 am

I read Doug’s latest postings, but it’s not clear at all what he’s doing there. Is he trying to do POPS?

Roberto Ferrari

Post by Roberto Ferrari » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi Dan
Do you remember the tale “The Emperor’new clothes”?
I was trying to understand what is doing Doug, and ashamed to not understand…
Glad not to be alone.
Roberto