Is it safe to have an asymmetric inlet to a turbopump?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
DanielCorreia

Is it safe to have an asymmetric inlet to a turbopump?

Post by DanielCorreia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:51 pm

Sorry for the whole wack of questions from a newbie!

Due to some space constraints on my chamber, I have to mount my turbopump "overhanging" the side a bit - in effect, only about 1/3 the blades are actually going to be exposed to pressure. Is the asymmetric, unbalanced pressure on one side of the rotor vs the other likely to cause an issue, like vibration or a crash? (I realize I'm going to be greatly decreasing pumpdown speed, but that's not a significant issue for me.)

Roughly like the model below:
Screenshot from 2017-10-19 18-50-15.png

Tom McCarthy

Re: Is it safe to have an asymmetric inlet to a turbopump?

Post by Tom McCarthy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:55 pm

How do you plan on mounting the pump Daniel? Most pumps and vacuum equipment use standard flanges (sometimes not) that require them to be bolted/connected directly together. If you're not familiar with them, google Conflat flanges and KF vacuum flanges to see.

Some more information on what you're trying to do, to put this post in context would be helpful.

Tom

DanielCorreia

Post by DanielCorreia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:22 pm

My pump (Varian V200) has an ISO 100 flange/centering ring, I'm planning on just clamping it with bolts to the bottom of the baseplate pictured in the diagram.

My chamber wall is a 6" OD piece of steel pipe, and most of the area inside is used for feedthroughs - necessitating the off-center arrangement.

Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:49 am

Yes, its fine. gate valves used to throttle do the same thing all the time.

DanielCorreia

Post by DanielCorreia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:17 am

Oh, hah, didn't even think about that. Thanks!