Samuel Berman Fusor Progress (Plasma)

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Samuel Berman

Samuel Berman Fusor Progress (Plasma)

Post by Samuel Berman » Wed May 09, 2018 1:11 am

I am planning to build a small conflat cross style fusor during the summer and do some real fusion. However, I decided to try to build a small demo fusor with parts I just had laying around. I used a cheap ebay pump and a microwave oven transformer. I know these parts are not capable of any real fusion but I was able to achieve a plasma. So, I would like to apply for the plasma club.
Snapshot 2 (5-8-2018 5-59 PM).png
Snapshot 1 (5-8-2018 5-58 PM).png
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't make."

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Re: Samuel Berman Fusor Progress (Plasma)

Post by Richard Hull » Wed May 09, 2018 3:50 am

You are logged into the plasma club

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Samuel Berman

Re: Samuel Berman Fusor Progress (Plasma)

Post by Samuel Berman » Wed May 23, 2018 5:31 am

I have now created an upgraded system with a variac for controlling voltage and a larger jar as a chamber. With the addition of the variac I am able to control the plasma much better. Before, there would be arcing and the plasma was unstable. I'm surprised how little voltage it takes to create a glow discharge (probably under 500 volts for the pictures). While testing, I turned the voltage up too high and some smoke came out of my variac. Surprisingly it still works. I will make sure not to repeat that again.
IMG_20180522_213959.jpg
IMG_20180522_213641.jpg
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't make."