FAQ - Extensive paper on neutron activation

If you have a question about this topic, the answer is probably in here!
Richard Hull
Site Admin

FAQ - Extensive paper on neutron activation

Post by Richard Hull » Wed May 09, 2018 6:25 am

We already have a post here on activation, but I put a lot of effort over the past two days to come up with a 6 page document that is much more specific and a lot more of a "take you by the hand" explanation of neutron activation suited for the first timer puzzling over this quest once they have a real fusor running or dare to attempt to activate as proof of fusion.

As the old boys know, it is really tough to prove fusion via activation with under 50,000 n/sec isotropic and over 200,000 n/sec are typically needed for easy to detect activation using good technique and instrumentation as well as using the best of amateur element activation materials. Both of these are tough for first pass fusor operation by the novice operator.

I have struggled somewhat to make sure the content is scientifically correct. A greater struggle was spelling, structure and punctuation.
For those capable of pointing out major errors, I would appreciate any critical comments and feedback so that this paper will serve, well, all who read it in future.

Reference:

"Table of Isotopes" Lederer, Hollander, Perlman

Thanks

Edit 5/10/18
I have updated the paper. I used the term collision cross sections.... Corrected to Capture cross section. Updated pricing of Rhodium. A few other nuances added as well.

Edit 5/11/18
The 7th edit of the file includes extras suggested by John Futter and Rich Normand. Thanks guys.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Activation paper.pdf
(314.51 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

John Futter

Re: FAQ - Extensive paper on neutron activation

Post by John Futter » Thu May 10, 2018 8:31 am

Richard
well done
It might pay to indicate early on that the neutron interacts with the nucleus in most situations jiggling/ upsetting the contents and modifying the atomic weight gain / loss (ie isotopic makeup) some nuclear outputs being happy (stable) others in a bind (unstable)

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Thu May 10, 2018 8:21 pm

John thanks for the suggestion. I have clandestinely updated the paper over the last few days about 5 times, on my own. I just did it a sixth time and noted it in the original posting. It happens that in re-reading my own paper I found some faux pas worth correcting a sixth time.

I will work on it again. Nothing like making a posting better with suggestions.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

richnormand

Post by richnormand » Thu May 10, 2018 11:18 pm

Very nice Richard.

1)
I too end up doing revisions a few times on manuscripts, papers and posting to forums. It was easier in the past (review, typing pool, review again, etc...before sending to publisher) but now, with instant posting, I do appreciate the few days this forum allows me to clarify, correct and edit posts.
2)
You might consider putting your name as the author and a perhaps link here in the text proper. The idea is it will probably be forwarded to other people by a reader and attribution for the work will be lost. Your call, off course.

Hope you are enjoying retirement as much as I am. :-)

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Fri May 11, 2018 6:48 am

Rich, I will throw the authorship idea in the mix for the 7th upgraded attachment posting. Thanks for the suggestion.

I will soon delete all the responses as I have given credit for the suggested updates in my original posting.

Richard Hull

Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:27 pm

The IAEA currently has an android application entitled "Isotope Browser" It contains a chart of the nuclides, but I still find myself referencing the physical book more. Some here may find it helpful...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s.nuclides

-Luke Harrill

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:42 pm

Yes, there is something about the handiness of a real book that this old guy appreciates. Got used to getting on the bus and going downtown or to a nearby college to get data from books and books alone until the 90's. Those old tomes are now available to own for little money to make up my own technical/scientific library.

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:08 pm

Luke,

In your post of the Isotope Browser app, you said, "I still find myself referencing the physical book more." I did some looking around on
https://www.iaea.org/

but I didn't see a document or book that seemed to parallel the app. Can you share what you mean by "the physical book"?
Rex Allers

Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:10 am

By "the physical book" I meant the book "Nuclides and Isotopes : Chart of the Nuclides 16th Edition" published by Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory.

-Luke Harrill

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:41 am

The physical book I referred to is "Table of Isotopes" Lederer, Hollander, Perlman. I mentioned it twice in my PDF above. There are several to chose from.

Richard Hull