Second Opinion on XRT

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Luke Harrill

Second Opinion on XRT

Post by Luke Harrill » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:49 pm

I've finally found a transformer here locally, and I wouldn't mind a few opinions on it. Being from '91, it's not as old as I would like. It looks to be of considerable size though.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bfs/d/ ... 15475.html

Thank you all,
Luke Harrill
Attachments
image1.jpeg

John Myers

Re: Second Opinion on XRT

Post by John Myers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:14 pm

That is very large XRT, and can supply plenty of power. Maybe too much considering the price and if you don't plan on using it for more then a fusor.
Finding older XRT applies more to dental XRT, since the newer ones tend to be smaller.

A dentist was selling a XRT on craigslist as scrap metal, I went to buy it and she ended up giving it to me for free.

You can try calling dental offices in your area and asking if they having an old/broken ones stashed away. I'm sure if you offer a little money they wouldn't mind someone paying them to get ride of some 'junk'.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:12 am

This is not an XRT. It is an entire x-ray system. The price is very cheap and the system is indestructible in careful, knowledgeable hands. It will be instantly deadly in the hands of the uninformed and unprepared. It is a steal perhaps at $400 and the last HV supply any one might ever need who is serious about amateur nuclear physics or the last purchase you might ever make in your life if you are not ready for what you buy.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Wow, that is really nice. I agree it is a steal at that price. Richard is correct, proper shielding is essential once you start operation.

Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:01 am

Thank you all for your input! I picked it up this morning for the grand total of $300! Since it was registered, he had a little paperwork to fill out for the N.C. Radiation Protection Section about its sale. So I might have to contact the S.C. DHEC and inform them of its correct "disposal/scrapping."

The transformer, rotating-anode tube, and controller all work great. I'm astonished with the dose rates that this tube can put off. It was definitely fun to give the dosimeters and CDV-715 a little test. However, this equipment demands respect in every manner.

Needless to say, I'm glad I bought that industrial lead blanket that came from a power plant.

Safety is my top priority. I really don't want anyone or anything to get fried by electricity. Distance and shielding will definitely be my friends too.

Here's the schematics from the inside of the controller. (The tranny is 210lbs according to the cotton scale.)
Attachments
20180609_170923.jpg

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:03 am

About as simple and straight forward an old relic as you can get!!! This boat anchor will be the best thing that could happen to a fusioneer, if handled correctly. No switching circuitry to go afoul. No real electronics in that tank either. Just 220 ac in and a gang o' volts coming out. Just a transformer and a bridge rectumfire along with a bunch of safety nerd stuff to multi-interlock the system in the off mode until the cows come home.

This schematic is typical and much like my own XRF system 375 pound monster still sitting outside my lab. My schematic shows two "stirring motors" sunk in the oil to keep it moving around to distribute the heat. As an XRF system tranny, my leviathan is meant to be on for protracted periods and is over beefy.

As to operating the thing in x-ray mode I would advise against it. Any true x-ray tube is custom designed to belch out horrid x-rays. Even at 30kv you can burn yer guts out in seconds and those jokers scatter, too. 125kv x-rays are way beyond simply lethal. Yes, you can be killed deader than dead!

You got a great deal.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.