Metal Deuteride Grid Idea

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Joshua Guertler

Metal Deuteride Grid Idea

Post by Joshua Guertler » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:39 pm

Greetings,

I have been working on the inner grid of a fusor and was wondering if there were any alternatives to the typical metals (i.e tungsten) used as wires for the inner grid. Then I began to wonder how the grid materials could enhance fusion, as deuterons are typically lost to this grid if they strike the metal.

With this criterion of ideas, I was wondering if a low-electrical resistance metal deuteride formed into a 22 gauge wire would be a possible alternative to common wire materials for an inner grid in a fusor. Moreover, would this enhance the neutron output of a fusor? Also, what type of metal would be preferable for this metal deuteride (I was considering tantalum due to its low electrical resistance and high melting point). Thank you.

Sincerely, Joshua Guertler

Robert Dwyer

Re: Metal Deuteride Grid Idea

Post by Robert Dwyer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:03 pm

In reality, most metal grid materials would work. You run into issues of ion bombardment, heating, etc... which effects material thickness and your overall design.

Tantalum is a good high temperature material for a fusor. I've used both molybdenum and niobium grids before with no problem. Even Stainless Steel can be used if properly sized and cooled. As for forming a deuteride: All metals suitable for use in a fusor grid will form a deuteride on the the surface. Tungsten is a good material for this, Palladium is THE best. The largest issue with palladium is, of course, its price. If you are looking into purely higher Deuterium concentrations in your grid, Uranium is a good option too (speaking from a hydride formation standpoint, not a construction standpoint). It forms UH3 (or in our case UD3) in air, especially while cooling. It is often used in systems for hydrogen getters. Good luck trying to use Uranium wire for a fusor grid though.

Ultimately, no matter what metal you use you will see D+D fusions from your grid being bombarded with deuterons. Ultimately however, the grid is simply a tool, a means to an end for the fusor. Voltage/Current are the ultimate factors in fusion output.
If we throw more money at it, it will have to work... right?