Fusor Progress, Luke Harrill

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Luke Harrill

Fusor Progress, Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:17 pm

I've almost got all the parts for my vacuum chamber and gas system. (The missing parts are marked with index cards.) I also have a Welch 1402, a Televac TC gauge controller, 2 large 75k ohm power resistors, a variac, a 50kv probe w/ meter, and a rectified xrt w/ cables.

I am still working on the following: another TC gauge controller (or maybe an ion gauge setup), grid/stalk material, current metering system, vacuum oils, and neutron metering equipment.

I can initially use activation for neutron detection, and the rest of it is providing that my current equipment doesn't need any repair.

-Luke Harrill
Attachments
2018-06-21 14.15.28.jpg

Dennis P Brown

Re: Fusor Progress, Luke Harrill

Post by Dennis P Brown » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:26 pm

Activation is not generally a good approach for a first time fusor attempt. The very least you will need a good x-ray transformer capable of creating the high rate of neutrons - that is, a high voltage and current device (see FAQ's on the exact levels most use for activation.) Considering the money you already have spent, maybe it would be better to consider the standard method and get a turnkey system. Richard has discussed this very issue of beginners trying activation detection a few times as well.