Possible Vacuum Diffusion Pumps

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Joshua Guertler

Possible Vacuum Diffusion Pumps

Post by Joshua Guertler » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:07 pm

Greetings fusor community,

I was recently looking on EBay for potential vacuum diffusion pumps and stumbled across a Diffusion Pump MetroVac 033c (see link here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-1-diffusio ... ahVCfT8%5C).

Thus, I was wondering whether or not this would be a practical option for a star-mode fusor (5-15 microns) when coupled with a vacuum pump (5 CFM, 2 Stage, 1/2HP HVAC). If not, what should I be looking out for in a good diffusion pump later on? This is also considering that I have a personal price range of $100-$600 that I can allocate to a diffusion pump that should last me long enough for a couple of tests. Thank you.

Joshua Guertler

Pablo Llaguno

Re: Possible Vacuum Diffusion Pumps

Post by Pablo Llaguno » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:15 pm

It does come with a heater and looks like it uses a water cooling system. A 5" flange is certainly usable if you build your adapter for the valve you would use, but for a fusor, you could get away with even smaller flanges that would save you money and effort.