Trying for Tritium

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Harry Dixon

Trying for Tritium

Post by Harry Dixon » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Hello,

I have seen that throughout fusor.net threads Richard Hull has been saying that using tritium from items like watches in a fusor is illegal because of a lack of NRC licensing. However, would this still apply if I had an NRC-licensed person at an NRC-licensed facility over viewing the assembly an operating experiment? Also, would it be illegal to make tritium by having the neutrons break down lithium 6? I ask this because I just discovered that there is a nuclear science branch of a local university that has NRC-licensing in this area. Thanks.

Harry Dixon

John Futter

Re: Trying for Tritium

Post by John Futter » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:02 pm

Harry
I see no reason that you could not do this as long as it is legal
It is the legality thing that nearly all here cannot be.
This is why talk of Tritium fusion is discouraged on this site

Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:15 pm

A person who is licensed to operate a reactor is only licensed to operate that reactor. A facility license is only applicable to the activities described in its license.

What you describe is very likely illegal for lots of reasons.

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:13 am

Harry,
Did you find any of the forum discussions about tritium produced by all fusors?
D-D fusion creates about as many tritium nuclei as neutrons, particle-wise, IIRC.
3x as much tritium as neutrons, by mass, with no lithium required.

You would deserve a medal (or at least big applause here) if you ever collect enough of that tritium to detect, much less to worry about its legality. We count fusor neutrons instead of fusor tritons, because it's a whole lot easier.

The amount of tritium in a watch lume element is obviously detectable, even without illegally opening the tube.
But it's still only a fraction of a second worth of gas flow through a fusor.
Richard Feldman

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:38 am

No one can get tritium here by any truly legal means. Thus any tritium placed in any fusor is illegal. We do not like to discuss using it in any way. The license for Tritium is impossible to get even for big firms involved in nuclear work as the NRC hoops, conditions and record keeping typically rule it out in the nuclear biz.

Forget tritium. It is a non-starter.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

John Myers

Post by John Myers » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:36 am

Radiation license's are very specific. Licensee's need to specify which isotopes, the activity levels and procedures. So anything outside of that would get them in trouble.

The company I work for has a license for tritium, the license is basically a procedure for building our electron capture detector including how and who we buy the tritium from.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:26 pm

NRC rules change over time. I do not know what they were like in 1966, but the Farnsworth team never had a tritium license, per se. A single different department at the ITT Fort Wayne facility had a license for something they were working on. The main keeper or assigned individual just gave the Farnsworth team the tritium they needed for a completely different project, (their fusor work). However, each of the fusor team members had to have their urine sampled on regular intervals; that, I do know. Could they have had an all encompassing site research license?? I do not think the ITT Fort Wayne facility manufactured or sold items with tritium in them back then.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.