What flange is this?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Harrison Gieselman

What flange is this?

Post by Harrison Gieselman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:26 pm

Sorry for such a simple question, but I can't find the answer to this. I recently bought a diffusion pump, and I can't tell what kind of flange it has. I think it's an ASA 2, but I don't want to be wrong and spend extra money, especially with my budget. Here is the link to the pump: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Veeco-2-034-Ai ... 7675.l2557

Thank you!

Jerry Biehler

Re: What flange is this?

Post by Jerry Biehler » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:16 am

Looks like a special. Should be easy to make an adapter for.

John Futter

Post by John Futter » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:52 am

Again
Harrison you have obiviously not read how to post on this forum
Users should not link to external web sites especially Ebay and the like as these pics will dissappear leaving a thread that does not make sense especially to new members trying to learn what to do.
Save a pic from the site and upload it to this site so that it is there for the future
Learn how to resize resample your pics to fit in this sites sweet spot (ie 1024 by 768 pixels)

\

Harrison Gieselman

Post by Harrison Gieselman » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:40 pm

I'm very sorry, I didn't know that was a rule. I've been reading on this forum for years and had never heard this, and I don't see it in the rules post. Is there somewhere that mentions this that I am missing? I want to make sure there isn't a rules section that I didn't see so that in the future I don't make any more mistakes. I understand the logic of this policy, though, and will try to remember it in the future.

How should I go about making an adapter for it? I don't have much mechanical experience; mine is more electrical, and I don't have easy access to machining equipment, though I can get access if needed.
s-l1600.jpg

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Teaching machine work is way beyond any forum.

But if I was doing this again for my system, I would buy a circular plate of the proper diameter by finding an existing plate on ebay that has an existing throat hole and o-ring grove that is very close to matching the DP. Then this plate just needs to have some new holes drilled and or threaded. In any case, this plate can be slightly over sized and made of a material that is easy to machine - for me, that was Al because I didn't need to weld anything - I just needed it as a single plate coupling.

If you obtained a solid metal plate that needs all holes made, then using a lathe, I'd machine out the center hole - this can be tricky even for someone experienced. Then lathe out an o-ring grove (this is a skill that requires careful measuring and knowledge of this type of work.) The grove must match the o-ring that was obtained that is also the correct diameter for the DP. Then drill out the required four holes.

Now, having this plate requires it attach to something - either your fusor or an existing vacuum coupling that works with your fusor.

Now, using the plate you just made for the end of the DP, you need to match that with your coupling and/or fusor. This is just using the lathe/drill press or mill to match the connecting holes on that section as needed without compromising your existing holes and having room to use connecting bolts (I threaded mine for one side connectors and had drill through holes for the other side. Maybe also requiring an o-ring grove as well.)

For me, a day using these machines; for someone with no skills, trying to do this one's self is very dangerous, far beyond an amateur's skill level and frankly, likely a waste of time and resources. Better to hire it out to a local shop using drawings you make based on your DP and fusor system and or existing connector.
Last edited by Dennis P Brown on Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Harrison Gieselman

Post by Harrison Gieselman » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks! I may be joining a makerspace that has access to this equipment as well as people who know how to use it, so I will try to see if I can work on it there.