He3 Tube on eBay

Use this forum to offer / scavenge for fusor parts
Richard Hull
Site Admin

Re: He3 Tube on eBay

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:51 am

3He pressure is indeed hyper critical as relates to low end detection, where most newbies reside, in the basement, either due to reduced voltage or poor operational skills. This is nothing against corona tubes, but a 4 atmosphere 3He is, and will always be, the "cats pajamas" and a virtual accepted standard in the lower neutron detection arena.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Lukas Springer

Post by Lukas Springer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:52 am

Chris Giles wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:15 pm
So BTW, the seller on eBay now relisted the SNM-18 tubes from 99 USD to 999 USD and says the former was a mistake when I asked! What a joker!
Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Richard, I don't understand your point, my corona tube has 4 Bar of 3He, so it should be about as sensitive as a proportional tube with the same pressure, or is there something I'm missing?

Lukas

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:49 am

I assume there was no data on the SNM-18 tube's pressure in other posts here. If it is 4 atmospheres and the price is indeed $999.00 then that is more in line with a good Reuter and Stokes 3He tube costs, indicating you are paying for the gas and not the tube. As I am not familiar with the intricacies of the corona tube beyond the usual "I am having trouble getting my corona tube to function". I had long held that the report issued by Bob Higgins was "the" ultimate in getting a corona tube to function well.

What is the correct pressure of the tube here on a data sheet. I did see that a tube labeled T-32/300-4,0/L does have 4 atmospheres pressure, but its applied voltage looks like a proportional tube. From the e-bay listings this is NOT a corona tube, but a proportional tube. If this is the case, then the discussion of corona tubes here is not at all related to the tube so offered. Thus, $999.00 is a sweet deal if you have the money and the tube offered is proportional and is warranted to function as a tested tube.

True corona tubes have a plateau and it has a slope just like a GM tube. As already noted, this is not the case with a proportional tube.

I fear there is a bit of confusion and perhaps wrong assumptions about what is offered for sale by the prospective buyer and some small amount of possible ignorance on the part of the seller as to what they are selling.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Lukas Springer

Post by Lukas Springer » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:24 am

I mistakingly assumed the SNM-18 is a corona tube, but according to this:
http://consensus-group.ru/radiation-cou ... -32300-40l
it is indeed a proportional counter with 4 Bar 3He.

On the topic of corona tubes:
Once the electronics for mine are done I will make a thread on how to get them running well.

Lukas

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:22 am

This entire posting will be destroyed real soon now. All the cool discussions and great information, lost forever. That's what we all get from posting really good data in the trading post.....Warned about many times..... This loss falls into my category of tuffski-stuffski to all who gave of themselves in a useless adventure of sharing in this forum.

Richard Hull

Lukas Springer

Post by Lukas Springer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:06 am

Is it possible for me to edit the first post and move the thread to the newby or rad detection forum?

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:29 pm

Obviously, the answer is yes. You can even steal others stuff from this post and weave it in with your own material. By just block copying and waltzing it into word or even notepad and then re-posting a polished effort in any appropriate forum. I have done it on occasion, but only when the mood strikes me and when I feel the material is ultra special.

I will give this thread a few more days before erasure.

Richard Hull