Plasma between two alternating electrodes?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Sven Andersson

Plasma between two alternating electrodes?

Post by Sven Andersson » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:38 am

A friend and I have debated what would happen to a plasma (in the picture it is a deuterium plasma, but it may actually be any plasma) that is subject to an alternating electric field such as in the picture below? The voltage may not be as high as 50 kV, but only 1 kV or 5 kV. Let's say the pulses are 50 ms.

Would there be a buildup of ions or electrons or both at the electrodes? Or would the plasma be homogeneous?

test.jpg

John Futter

Re: Plasma between two alternating electrodes?

Post by John Futter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:36 pm

As used in reactive ion etch (RIE)

Look it up Sven
then we would not get superfluous quaestions

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Re: Plasma between two alternating electrodes?

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Better still, spend your money and effort trying your idea in hardware and learn the hard way, it won't work. It will also teach you that self-directed reading on various subjects related to the fusion effort pays dividends.

The fusion we do is certainly the easiest of all methods that is readily verifiable. Feel free to try any way you can dream up to beat our efforts. Remember, in spite of what is the entire visible mass of the entire universe doing fusion, It is nearly impossible to do it "on the small" in a similar manner.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.