Beam on Pd-D-Li Target Fusor

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Harald_Consul

Beam on Pd-D-Li Target Fusor

Post by Harald_Consul » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:07 pm

Based on the previous "Beam on Solid State Fusor" design I have worked out a new more sophicticated design, now. It is similar, but the remarkable significant diffence is, that the target, which gets bombarded with deuterium ions, is out Palladium-Lithium alloy now.

Small alloy test charges are usually manufacured under labaratory conditions using a high-frequency induction heater . To manufacture a Pd-Li alloy you have to use additional flux, that covers up the Li-material, before you can melt it. As Lithium is a combustible light-metal it would start burning in the air, otherwise.

With the modification I get the following low budget design for an "Beam on Pd-D-Li Target Fusor":
  • Manufacturing an Palladium-Lithium electrode like mentioned above
  • Take a television tube from a bigger old school TV / CRT Monitor
  • Let the vacuum out
  • Cut a round! "service whole" into the television tube using a glas cutter (cornered holes will make the glass crack under vacuum)
  • Manufacturing an electrolytical cell, that will be filled with D2O, that has a prolonged electrode out of Pd-Li sheet on that side, where the deuterium is generated
  • The whole electrolytical cell is placed into the television tube
  • The televisons tube's electron generation unit's polarization is reversed and the voltage is increased, so that it produces a ion beam instead of an electron beam, now, when there is plasma in the tube
  • The prolonged Pd-Li-electrode is positioned at the Zero-beam position of the television tube
  • The tube's beam generation units and the electrolytical cell get powered; the electrolytical cell starts to produce deuterium, that gets stored as palladium-deuterium-ligand within in the electrode
  • The television tube is set under vaccuum. Due to the vaccum, some of the deuterium in the palladium electrode evaporades into the tube. A deuterium plasma is generated in the tube. From the deuterium plasma the tube's beam unit starts to produce a deuterium-ion beam.
  • Thus, the palladium-lithium-deuterid-ligand in the prolonged electrode gets bombarded with deuterium-ions
  • The Lithium in the Pd-Li electrode gets fissioned into tritium and helium
  • The bombardment of the tritium with deuterium ions startes a D-T fusion process
Remarks
From my point of view, this deuterium-tritium fusion process is not too dangerous, because
  • No direct toxic tritium gas is required,
  • most of the tritium, that is generated from lithium fission, gets bound to the palladium electrode (as deuterium and simple hydrogen do)
  • the tritium remains within a sealed (television) vacuum tube
  • additonally the whole gadgetry will be build within a fume cupboard to make sure no tritium gets to room air

Harald_Consul

Re: Beam on Pd-D-Li Target Fusor

Post by Harald_Consul » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:56 pm

As there are no feedbacks to the design till 2 days now, I want to disclose the ideas behind it.

Supposed advantages: Supposed weaknesses, problems and dangers:
  • The reverse of the polarization of the television-tube's "cathode"-ray unit may not be suitable or not powerful enough to accelerate deuterium-ions to 2 keV or even 4keV
  • An experimental vacuum chamber, that already posses a "service hole" may be much more handy
  • The setup requires a tritium neutralisation concept and a fume cupboard. Although tritium is only a beta-emitter, the inhalation of tritium gas can cause serios bioaccumulation. However, a radiotoxic substance can be handled in laboratory more easily than a chemotoxic substance, because it can always be easiliy detected (using a Geiger counter).
  • The risk of producing a uncontrolled self-sustaining fusion reaction is estimated low, as the necessary activation energies of the nuclear fusion reaction are high. Especially, a chain reaction reaction does not seem possible, as far the target is small (e.g. 0.1 g) and the activation is not accomplished by a big simultanous "bang".

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:01 am

How are you ionizing the gas? While it probably can be done, electron guns are not made for functioning as ion guns.

Harald_Consul

Post by Harald_Consul » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:14 pm

Harald_Consul wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:07 pm
  • The television tube is set under vaccuum. Due to the vaccum, some of the deuterium in the palladium electrode evaporades into the tube. A deuterium plasma is generated in the tube. From the deuterium plasma the tube's beam unit starts to produce a deuterium-ion beam.
You are absolutely right. Only vacuum does not make a plasma, automatically. However, a full plasma is not required. Some ionized deterium ions next to reversed polarity "cathode ray" unit will be enough.

Any suggestions, how to best/ easierst create the deuterium ionization next to the reversed polarity "cathode ray"unit?

However, my current main problem is, I simply do not find a big demountable "cathode ray" tube.

vince_Darmancier

Post by vince_Darmancier » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:43 pm

i"ve tried various oscilloscope tube as they produce a single beam (not 3 like a color TV)
it`s also easier to cut the glass around the cathode area and its possible to find old cheap oscilloscope
you may even be able to use the flyback transformer.
Given a good vacuum pump, seal etc.. you can even adjust the ion beam direction !

John Futter

Post by John Futter » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Unless you have used Simion or similar what makes you think that a set of lenses designed for electrons would work for protons or dueterons .
The proton is 1837 times heavier than the electron dueterons even heavier

Harald_Consul

Post by Harald_Consul » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:06 pm

Thanks for the oscilloscope tip, Vince! How did you cut the tube exactly?

John, ion beam distraction by electric field is not required, here. I wanted to use the null-posiition of the beam. You might be right this way, that the maximum ion acceleration by the default voltage of the scope might be to low. However a higher voltage might be possible, depending on the tube.

vince_Darmancier

Post by vince_Darmancier » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:20 pm

that is true John but i did not think Harald wanted to used them as a tight focused beam.. but all the connections are already there for higher or lower voltage or whatever needed...
i have a friend who own a shop and works on glass as a professional , he was the one who cut the tube, attach vacuum connectors and cured the glass etc.. He might have simply used a glass cutter ...

Harald_Consul

Post by Harald_Consul » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:36 pm

Would your friend manufacture a modified osci tube for me too? Could you PM his contact dates?

vince_Darmancier

Post by vince_Darmancier » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:16 pm

i guess he could ...he has done many custom glass work for me over the years...you could deal with him directly not sure about shipping tho
Superior glass Blowing (734) 482-8744 just call and explain what you need if he is not too busy ..