"The amateur scientists tackling the global energy crisis"

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

"The amateur scientists tackling the global energy crisis"

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:57 pm

That's the headline of a article published this week in an online publication from the UK called "Newstatesman" about our efforts here, quite prominently featuring Resident Den Mother Richard Hull:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/e ... rgy-crisis
Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 11.41.13 AM.png

"Since Hull first tried, however, about two hundred people across the globe have followed his example. While governments spend billions working on fusion science, amateur “fusioneers” are drawn to tinker in the field by curiosity, thrills – and the possibility that they might stumble across the solution to the global energy crisis."

I would have thought the number is more than that, but collectively I'm still sure this crowd has produced more actual fusion than any Tokamak on earth. And for an infinitesimal fraction of the cost...

There is also some notable recognition for one of our members in the UK, Dr. Jonathan Howard:

"Howard has also built his own fusion reactor at home, but he sees fusion differently to Hull. For Hull, fusion is a science experiment, but for Howard, as for many other fusioneers, the excitement comes from improving his fusor’s efficiency, gradually edging his equipment towards fusion’s holy grail: net power gain. If someone can find a way to make a fusion reactor produce more energy than the electricity that powers it, this technology could power the world."

But, as we all know, that "breakeven" point is "20 years away and always will be." Right, Richard?

Follow this link for "the rest of the story:"

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/e ... rgy-crisis
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Re: "The amateur scientists tackling the global energy crisis"

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks Paul for spotting this and supplying the URL. I think I remember giving this fellow a long phone interview. He got most of it pretty well told for a journalist who has to breathe life into amateur fusion to the general public.

I told him all about Paul being the original source of this and two other venues preceding fusor.net. Alas, I run it according to the article. Oh well...
I do wish Paul could get the credit he so justly deserves as prime mover in the internet genesis of amateur fusion. I just hope that the adoration, admiration and recognition of those here is enough to make him proud, 'cause that is all he seems to get....To paraphrase R. Lee Ermey in the movie "Full Metal Jacket"...He may not get much credit, but he's got guts....and guts is enough!

As I have posted many times, I am the garbage man here and perhaps a junk yard dog or cop on the beat, at times. Sometimes I have to act as a pair of "gravity boots" for newbies drifting off into their own space. I just happen to also be the old man and longest poster here. I think all of the foregoing is why so many think I run the joint.

It is always good to get a bit of press....Now will this bring the usual flood of newbies and the idle curious looking to power their home with a suitable size fusor? Like fusion itself, time will tell. However, if there develops a newbie invasion you can trust that will be "real soon now"

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Re: "The amateur scientists tackling the global energy crisis"

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Richard Hull wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:18 pm

I do wish Paul could get the credit he so justly deserves as prime mover in the internet genesis of amateur fusion. I just hope that the adoration, admiration and recognition of those here is enough to make him proud, 'cause that is all he seems to get....To paraphrase R. Lee Ermey in the movie "Full Metal Jacket"...He may not get much credit, but he's got guts....and guts is enough!
Thanks Richard. You know I'm pretty satisfied with whatever recognition does or doesn't come my way. For precisely the reason you site above.

It's gratifying enough to see all the people who are gaining some benefit to having a resource like this at their disposal. Most of the posts these days are way over my head scientifically, and as you know I've got some other issues to contend with at the moment anyway.

One of these days, somebody will get a bright idea and a fusor-like device will break even. And then they'll say "I got the inspiration from fusor.net".

And when I finally get to shake hands with Philo on the other side of the Pearly Gates I'll be able to say "Hey, you'll never believe what happened down there on the Interwebs..."

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."