Cleaning/Repairing Edwards E2M5

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Chris Mullins

Re: Cleaning/Repairing Edwards E2M5

Post by Chris Mullins » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:03 am

A gauge that's been used by several here (I have two) is the MKS 901p, good from atmosphere down to 1E-5 Torr, with log analog output and serial interface. Here are a couple of discussions about it:

General discussion: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11533

RS-232 interface board: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11730

You can usually find them (used) on ebay for around $35-$45 with KF16 flange.

Bruce Meagher

Post by Bruce Meagher » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Ameen Aydan wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:50 pm
... I still need to find a proper inlet valve for gauging. I can't find anything so far for a good price. I need it to be a KF flange which is the biggest problem. Any recommendations?
You could try <https://www.ebay.com/itm/292158415411> for $12.50 shipped. The image below is what I received. It doesn't have the proper lip for an o-ring seal, but those on a budget can make it work. How to get a proper seal with these large BSP threads without an o-ring is an exercise left to the reader.

Bruce
Attachments
MBSP_KF25.JPG

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:41 pm

On a mechanical pump, teflon tape will seal it very well. I've had success even with 10^-5 torr in my chamber but I don't recommend it generally for those high vac applications.

Ameen Aydan

Post by Ameen Aydan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:04 am

Hello

Thank you all so much for your suggestions, I can't say enough thanks in a life time. I just took a look and will purchase it soon. Since I'm from Canada, the price of shipping is $16 dollars... So as soon as I get that all worked out I should be able to purchase it. I also purchased an MKS 901P. The seller says the product is already calibrated and works perfectly! I purchased it long before the previous update, just forgot to mention it. Oh, and It was sold to me for $35 but the shipping was (as to be expected) $15. I hate it but I have to live with it... Oh well. An update on my pump will be coming soon. I just have to finish some useless homework first.

Ameen Aydan