No more attachments (images) allowed!

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull
Site Admin

No more attachments (images) allowed!

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:47 am

Jake Harrell has advised and I have tested the fact that no more attachments can be posted. It says we are over our limit.

If this can't be expanded, I may have to start deleting from the images du jour many past posts. I used to purge these regularly after their timeliness was out of range.

Frank and Perfesser what gives? I will not perform mass deletions in image du jour until advised that is our only solution.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Rich Feldman

Re: No more attachments (images) allowed!

Post by Rich Feldman » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:08 am

Can you give us an idea of the actual storage limit in gigabytes (or gibibytes)?
How much money would you have to raise to get to the next level?

I would agree that storage discipline often gets less respect than it deserves.
No matter how cheap the incremental terabyte is, somebody has to keep the disks spinning, and pay to keep the content backed up forever.

What if you reduce the limit on size of individual files to be uploaded? Why does a forum that's not about photography need images bigger than, say, 200 or 500 kB? So what if the cheapest new smartphones can take 16 MiB pictures, and come with data plans where that's a tiny amount? Kind of like "4K" television displays -- waste of bandwidth in my humble opinion. How does it enhance the communication of a fusor.net topic?
Richard Feldman

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:08 am

The board was setup to notify me as the size of the attachments grow. It was not supposed to limit but apparently it is. I have raised the quota size of the the board. I have also dropped the photo size limit down to 500 Kb each. It has previously been set to 5 MB but we are burning through storage space. All should be working now.

Here is an attachment test of some high altitude neutron and gamma measurements from a few years back.
Attachments
FrankSannsMCAAIr.jpg

Luke Harrill

Post by Luke Harrill » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:13 am

Thank you, Frank

-Luke Harrill

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:24 am

I love it! All those 1,850 mega pixel cameras set for 12,000 X 9,450 resolution producing 4 gig files are just so much over kill and all who apply will have to grossly downgrade their wonderful images, to something like old VGA resolution. Get use to downgrading what your cameras are capable of or get used to massaging every image backwards before submission.

Thanks for killing the huge images in attachments. We no longer need to monitor image size. You just simply can't post anything huge and nice.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Pascal Mueller

Post by Pascal Mueller » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:18 pm

I really don't understand the whole "server space" argument (like quoting isn't allowed because of space in 2019... seems odd). I know it costs money to host ( I work in that field ) - the admins could just ask the users to donate money or set up a patreon, many would subscribe I think.

Also, afaik you guys also don't like it if you link external images. So basically we 1. can't do attachments anymore and 2. can't use external storages => no more pictures?

Also instead of resolution size limitation just limit the upload file size limit. Nothing easier than that. Sometimes it'd be nice to zoom in but with such small pictures, you barely can. (But that's a luxury problem.)

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:52 pm

Pascal, you bring up many topics. Let me try to address them.

1. The site currently has a total storage allowance of 10 terabytes. This is a very generous allotment.

2. Quoting is frowned upon not because of storage space but rather reading real estate. Clicking on a page that has multiple threads quoted in each post gets to be old very quickly. Having to click through page by page of clutter is not what we desire here. It is ok to quote when clarification is required but for the most part, we can all follow the normal flow of the thread.

3. As in #2, photos have a display size limit to prevent taking up the entire page like excessive quoting does. Clicking on the photo will bring up the fully loaded resolution photo.

4. The file size for an attachment be it a file or a picture is now 500 KB. I do a great deal of photography and a properly taken photo of that size contains a great deal of information. This requires a pro level camera and lens and technique. Contrast that with some of the new cell phones that take 40 Megapixel images. Seems my half a meg file size photo would be no comparison but in reality, half a meg of quality is far superior to pixel noise, jpeg artifact, and poor lens/sensor cell phone pictures. Large pictures are parsed by bots and use up the bandwidth hence the compromise on size limits.

5. The site has, since the migration a few years back, set up to allow for external photos. Click on the photo button when posting and feel free to link to your externally hosted account. They will show up here. I believe the only external link that we have not desired was to locate the contents of this site elsewhere as a PDF or a Wiki. We prefer to keep the flow to this site for archival as well as current information and interaction.

Like I posted previously in this thread, I believe all is good for attaching pictures.

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:15 am

I was going to suggest hosting any large photos on your own server. That's what I do for other sites that have limited upload space.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Pascal Mueller

Post by Pascal Mueller » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:30 pm

Dear Frank,

1. And the site is close to be using all 10 TB? (Just curious)

2. Yeah I do understand that. The discussion here are more streamlined so quoting is kind of useless. At some point, one said "server space", so that's where I got that from.

3. I though the resolution limit is because file size. I can't really argue here but I think more resolution = better. We are in the web, so "it tkaes up the whole screen" is no argument. (One can style the img element to be limit to 50% screen space or whatever). I just like to zoom in and actually see stuff.

4. True - although you can't expect people to actually know their stuff when dealing with images.

5. Ok I might have read something old then.

Anyway, I don't want to argue - just was a bit confused and wanted to give a bit of input.

Also: You guys could really set up a patreon. People probably want to support the forum and such a forum costs money, even if it is self hosted.

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:10 pm

Interesting idea, there.
I send contributions from time to time, by paypal. Instructions for that are easy to find on the forum.

When we want to support fusor.net, would support of Patreon be a smaller side burden than support of paypal?
Not only in terms of real money going into the pocket of middleman,
but unsolicited messages from the middleman,
or even unsolicited ads in the margins of the doing-business dialog?
Richard Feldman