Columbus-I Pinch Tube Build

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Richard Hull

Re: Columbus-I Pinch Tube Build

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:47 pm

Charging monster discharge caps is a snap. Tiny worthless HV supplies work great! Just put a suitable high ohm charging resistor in series with the supply and a good voltmeter across the cap. A small neon transformer with a trippler or quadrupler can easily supply 60kv, no problem and will pretty much self limit as the capacitor charges.
All my knowledge here goes way back to can crushers, coin shrinkers, repulsion coils and water arc guns. Charging a big, instantly lethal, high voltage capacitor is very easy.

Spark gaps and hydrogen thyratrons make the best high current switches if you can't afford or obtain a Maxwell pressurized, triggered switch.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:00 am

Thanks Richard. I'll go the route of the tripler. Parts on the way.

Btw, back in the early 2000's I purchased your Fusor VHS tapes and have wondered if you converted any of it to DVD?
Did you make any cassettes on the water arc experiments as well?

Mark Rowley

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:33 pm

Everything is converted to DVD and I haven't produced a new video since 2001. I used the Amiga and its Video Toaster add-on in the early 90's to produce all the videos.

My 24 page, original catalog listing and directory of what is on each tape is still valid. I have placed the old paper catalog within a bunch of word files which can be sent via e-mail.

I ended all VHS tape sales in 2005 and have sent out only DVD's since that time.

I have thought about doing a new fusor educational video, but have been slow to move. The first two videos were produced in 1999 and 2000 and upon reviewing them I find them "charming" and issued when I was but a "babe in the fusion woods". They are just embarrassing enough to set me to consider a more modern exposition.

I am only given pause due to the very nature of the fusor.net completeness on the subject and the vast store of data here that would be nearly impossible to fold into a 2 hour video.

Thanks for the kick in the butt on this, however. Such an effort just slipped one notch up on the to-do-maybe list.

Richard Hull

P.S. Note: This is far off topic and I apologize to the originator of this thread. I might throw more light on this in my trading post store in future.

P.P.S. OOOPs! Mark originated this thread!!!.....As it is his thread, I am far less apologetic. He asked....I answered.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.