About pressure rating of tubing

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Tony Lai

About pressure rating of tubing

Post by Tony Lai »

Hi there.
I'm now working on my first fusor, but I keep failing to find those tubings (needle valve,tube fittings,etc) that are rated for 'high vacuum'. I have find some pretty good quality ones that are labeled to handle 25-40 Mpa of pressure, to my understand the atmosphere exerts 101.3 Kpa on a vacuum chamber, that is 0.1Mpa, far less than 25 so there tubings are sufficient to handle the job.
Is my gussing correct? Or is this complete nonsense? I really appreciate for any help.
Richard Hull

Re: About pressure rating of tubing

Post by Richard Hull »

Any metal tubing with any wall thickness exceeding 1/32-inch is good for vacuum work. Of course larger diameter tubing than 1/2-inch will demand a thicker wall. Fusor shells can be only .040-inch thick, but 90% are stock .0625-inch thick. Remember, the maximum possible pressure in any vacuum system is only 14.7 PSI.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Re: About pressure rating of tubing

Post by Dennis P Brown »

While many types of tubes/valves can easily handle the pressure differential (its, as Richard pointed out, very small), the issue that must be considered is leakage into the system by outside air. This is especially true for valves and any methodology to join system components. Cleanliness and lack of surface out gassing is also critical - one reason rubber hoses are an issue and while brass isn't used for high vac work. So copper tubing (just about anything suitable for just home piping) aluminum, or steel are common and just about anything available can handle that differential.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”