Help Finding a Transformer Core Part

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Joshua Guertler

Help Finding a Transformer Core Part

Post by Joshua Guertler »

Greetings,

A few minutes ago I received the dreaded email from someone who bought my old x-ray transformer saying that he received it in shambles. By the looks of it, USPS gave it the old beat down, so much do that the actual box itself broke open during shipping.

Fortunately, the core itself is pretty easily repairable (it's one of those slide-together tab set ups). However, it would seem that USPS lost about 10 of those little guys. I promised the buyer that I'd find out what they're called and where I can buy them from. I've attached images below of the tabs and what an assembled transformer would look like
20191225_124017-1028x728.jpg
IMG_4449-1028x728.jpg
Any help finding these pieces would be immensely appreciated. I'm very fearful that this incident could scar my credibility with the whole eBay process and maybe even the forum. Likewise, any help that people could provide to help me find this piece would be immensely appreciated.

Sincerely,
Joshua Guertler
Rich Feldman

Re: Help Finding a Transformer Core Part

Post by Rich Feldman »

Sorry to hear about the transformer damage. I've received damaged goods via UPS and Fed Ex as well as the USPS, and often felt the problem started with inadequate packing. You're lucky to have received your NST in one piece, if it was shipped without a wooden crate or double boxing or large pieces of very stiff foam to protect the bushings. One simple test when sending something: would you hesitate to drop the box a couple of feet onto concrete floor, then repeat it upside down, then repeat it sideways? Would you check it as luggage for an airplane trip, which is generally less rigorous than parcel delivery services?

Back to your picture: it looks like what's missing is some flat sheets of transformer steel.
Not hard to replace if you can state the exact thickness (I don't know if there are standards in the industry) and the length and width. Maybe some reader here, like me, can spare some from junk parts, if thickness can be matched.
For best resolution of thickness, get measurement of whole stack and number of layers.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler »

Greetings,

Thank you for getting back to be on the matter. It's truly an unfortunate incident, however I'm doing my best to make it right for the buyer.

The metal is about 0.014" thick, 1 5/16" wide, and 2 15/16" long. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Joshua Guertler
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Pieces of lamination from the core. Now to the lamentations. not good.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Pull a MOT apart for spare laminations
you can cut with tin snips or similar
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

I think any core with flat laminations of the right thickness, at least as wide and long as the missing parts, will do.
They aren't hard to take apart and delaminate, even if welded.

It might take some looking around to find a suitable transformer to cannibalize.
The MOT I checked (a relatively small one) had laminations about 0.020" or 0.5mm thick, and the center leg of the E sections was a bit narrower than 1 5/16". MOT's, and I bet most dental XRT's, are designed for compactness and lightness at the expense of efficiency.

Here are a few other kinds of scrap transformers that can be found around town.
NST's. Low voltage lighting transformers. Uninterruptable power supplies. Car battery chargers. Pre-switchmode DC power supplies. Power supply and output transformers from vacuum-tube audio and radio gear.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”